1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Receiving popup advising to run Flash 9.0 or higher to run openmail app]

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Annie Lori, 2012/03/31.

1. 2012/03/31
    Annie Lori

Annie Lori Well-Known Member Thread Starter

On IE, Mozilla F/F, and Chrome, I'm getting a popup telling me I must have 9.0 or higher and unblocked to run an openmail app. I don't remember who told me to disable it because it might be a conflict (Norton perhaps??), but I remember disabling it. Leo LaPorte said that Chrome automatically updates Flash, so I'm surprised that's where I first saw this popup! Maybe because it's not my default browser?? How do I confirm that my default browser is probably F/F (I have all 3 browsers available)? OE hasn't worked for me for several years and I really don't know why. They tell me to contact MS. But I always use F/F or Chrome. I understand it's a security thing to have the latest version of Flash running.

Next, do I need to download Flash 9.0 on IE, F/F, and Chrome?

2. 2012/03/31
    Annie Lori

I just remember that it was Real Player that I disabled, not Flash Player. Just now I tried to find out where I did it because I remember clicking on the disable box, but I couldn't locate it. It wasn't in Add/Remove Programs.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2012/04/01
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

The latest version of Flash Player is version 11.2.x.x.

Chrome will update it automatically.

Go to adobe.com using IE and click Adobe Flash Player beneath Download on the right hand side of page.

Repeat using Firefox.

5. 2012/04/06
    Annie Lori

For some unknown reason, Chrome kept telling me to update and when I tried, I received a message that Chrome automatically updates. About 3-4 days later, that need-to-update message disappeared. Odd!

I updated IE and it shows I'm updated with version 10-something, not 11. Don't know what's going on with that!

6. 2012/04/06
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

The latest version of IE is 9 and it isn't for every version of Windows. What version of Windows do you have?

7. 2012/04/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

She means that Flash is version 10 something, not IE.
    Go to Add-Remove Programs and uninstall Adobe Flash Player. Then use IE to download and install the latest version of Flash Player.

Chrome is not telling you to update Flash Player, Chrome automatically updates the Chrome browser very frequently.

8. 2012/04/07
    SpywareDr

SpywareDr SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

9. 2012/04/07
    MrBill

"I updated IE and it shows I'm updated with version 10-something, not 11 ".

I know what she means, but that is not what she said. :D

10. 2012/04/07
    SpywareDr

Remove Adobe Flash Player. (In Windows 7, click Start, start typing in "add or" [not the quotes] and then select "Add or remove programs ").

Then download and install the current version "11.2.202.228" using the link I posted above.

11. 2012/04/07
    Annie Lori

Sorry, I left out the word "in." I should have typed: I updated in IE . . .

I'm using Windows XP.

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.2 was downloaded in Mozilla F/F. I assumed that is the same thing as Flash Player!

I will go into IE and delete Flash Player (in Add/Remove) and then go to Adobe.com and download the newer version. Hopefully, it will be version 11.2.

Just curious, where do I look in Chrome to see that I do have Adobe Flash Player 11,2? I couldn't find it anywhere. Maybe it doesn't show because it's automatically updated?? I still think it's odd that a popup appeared in Chrome telling me to update Adobe Flash Player!

Thank you all for your help here.

12. 2012/04/07
    Annie Lori

In IE, I couldn't figure out how to remove Adobe Flash Player, so I disabled it. (Add/Remove Programs is in my computer's Control Panel, if I removed it there, wouldn't it remove it from all my browsers?) Went to Adobe.com to download latest version of Flash Player. When I ran it, I got a message to close IE and retry, so I did. When I got to "Finish," I was then in Mozilla F/F (which must be my default browser). I still have Flash Player 10.2 in IE. I give up! I just won't use IE anymore at all. Evidently, I'm in over my head here and am wasting everyone's time!

13. 2012/04/08
    MrBill

When you deleted Flash in Add/Remove, it should have done it in all your browsers. Then when you reinstalled it, it should have put it back in all of them with the right version.

14. 2012/04/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

There will be 2 listings in Add Remove Programs for Adobe Flash Player, one for IE and one for other browsers such as Firefox or Opera.

Google Chrome has its own internal Flash Player and is not listed in Add Remove Programs.

To install Adobe Flash Player version that you need:

0. Close all Web browsers.
    1. In XP, go to Control Panel > Add Remove Programs.
    2. Uninstall: Adobe Flash Player # ActiveX
    3. Uninstall: Adobe Flash Player Plugin
    4. Close Add Remove programs.
    5. Close Control Panel.
    6. Open Internet Explorer.
    7. Go here and download and install Adobe Flash Player*:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH
    8. Close Internet Explorer.
    9. Open Firefox.
    10. 7. Go here and download and install Adobe Flash Player*:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/EN_US-H-GET-FLASH

* Adobe Flash Player page will have a checkbox to include the Google Toolbar with Flash Player. If you do not need or want Google Toolbar, uncheck it.

You do not need Adobe Shockwave Player for anything. It's not the same thing as Adobe Flash Player.

15. 2012/04/08
    SpywareDr

16. 2012/04/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That's a misleading page, it says "reaches 52%" but the graph says, "41%. "
    Shockwave Player is used primarily for (1)ads and (2) games.

Most of the better online games use java. Unless one plays online games, one doesn't need Shockwave Player.

17. 2012/04/10
    SpywareDr

It is also often used in online applications which require a very rich graphical environment. Online Learning tools which simulate real-world physics or involve significant graphing, charting, or calculation sometimes use Shockwave.

18. 2012/04/10
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

That's very true.
    It doesn't hurt to have it installed.

SpywareDr likes this.
  19. 2012/04/11
    SpywareDr