1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Reasons for Holiday Weekend driving accidents

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by retiredlearner, 2015/10/26.

1. 2015/10/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Top Ten Excuses for Dumb Driving.
    Insurance Council Chief Executive Tim Grafton said many driving
    related insurance claims after long weekends were a result of
    distractions such as mobile phones. Here are his top 10 unlikely
    excuses for car accidents, made on genuine insurance claims.
    1. "I started to slow down, but the traffic was more stationary
    than I thought.â€
    2. "On approach to the traffic lights, the car in front suddenly broke.â€
    3. "The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its
    intention.â€
    4. "I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way.â€
    5. "In an attempt to kill a fly, I drove into a telephone pole.â€
    6. "An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished.â€
    7. "I thought my window was down, but I found it was up when I put
    my head through it.â€
    8. "I had been driving for 40 years when I fell asleep at the wheel and
    had an accident.â€
    9. "I saw a slow-moving, sad-faced old gentleman as he bounced off the
    roof of my car.â€
    10. "I had been learning to drive with power-steering. I turned the wheel
    to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction
    going the opposite way.â€

I personally think #8 could be a genuine excuse. ;) Neil.

2. 2015/10/26
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

My favourite is "I was hit by a braking car in front of me" ... :p ... and that's from personal experience!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/10/26
    retiredlearner

I had my car written off when a DIC (drunk in charge) and asleep at the wheel - smashed into my drivers side. I was lucky to get out of that one without a scratch. :eek:
    Since then I've had 3 occasions when my car was stationary/parked and its been reversed into by "skilled" :rolleyes: drivers. Fortunately I was in the car in two of the events (sounding my horn) which the "deaf" drivers never heard.
    The other was a lady golf club member who backed into my car and honesty prevailed - she left me a note with her acceptance for the damage.
    That saved my 'no claims bonus' with the insurance coy.
    I think most of the above insurance claims were filled in by Fairytale readers. :D Neil.

5. 2015/11/10
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

I own a 2005 Ford that has no anti-lock brakes. I have been fortunate in two incidents which one involved a dog and the other was a deer. So what happens when you slam on the brakes? Yes they lock up and put the car into an uncontrollable spin. Even on dry pavement. Anti-lock brakes should be mandatory on all cars!

6. 2015/11/11
    retiredlearner

Having been in the Motor Industry all my working life and as Service Trainer for GMNZ for over 12 years, I was aware of the Technology Development in the Industry. Back in 1979 a VHS tape was produced outlining the equipment that was being developed and tested in hybrids.
    It was mind-blowing then but because of the cost structures it could only be released on a scheduled program over the years. I've been fortunate to see a lot of what was on the tape become normal safety features in motor vehicles.
    Technology like that was introduced in the Top of the Line vehicles first - then through volume release in the lower priced family cars etc.
    Nowadays people want to see at least ABS, EFI, Traction Control, GPS, Cameras for Reversing safely, at least a half dozen Air Bags and so on.
    We have full computer control cars (driverless) just around the corner literally.
    Yes, I agree with you regarding the fitment of all safety related technology should be in vehicles but could/can we always afford it.
    ABS was introduced early 1990's so it does make you wonder why your 2005 vehicle hasn't got it fitted as Standard. Neil.

7. 2015/11/11
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

Yes you bring another good point is the cost structures in auto industry. I have a in-law nephew who is a certified Ford mechanic (man is he the best) and is becoming discouraged with the amount of electronics in the newer cars. It seems that the more features added creates more separate electronic boxes or brains if you will causing the cost of a repairs to sky rocket. It is getting to the point where the average consumer can not afford to repair a vehicle, in effect they trade up and even end up paying even more due to the low value of the trade in. Some of these boxes cost an upwards of 700 to 900 usd. I'm gonna stick it out with my earlier models as long as I can.

8. 2015/11/11
    retiredlearner

ECU's have to be used to operate and control the new technology. The move during my time as GM Service Trainer was to Diagnosis. This is the core to being a really good Auto Technician these days.
    You don't need to know how to repair the modules/ECU's - but to use the correct Diagnosis to determine what is the cause of the problem. Everything electronic may/or may not be serviceable. That is the secret. Neil.

9. 2015/11/22
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member

Hi, these are all true excuses! But most of the time, I encountered this #6 “An invisible car came out of nowhere, struck my car and vanished.” and rarely #10 “I had been learning to drive with power-steering. I turned the wheel to what I thought was enough and found myself in a different direction going the opposite way.”

10. 2015/12/16
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

I've missed a few *invisible* cars over the years.

It's amazing how a small blind spot can render a vehicle invisible.