1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved R click to send an attachment in email is not showing in sent box. How do I make it appear there?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Alicia J, 2016/08/09.

1. 2016/08/09
    Alicia J Lifetime Subscription

Alicia J Geek Member Thread Starter

I use Microsoft Outlook 2010 Home edition.

I have noticed that when I Right click an item (such as a picture or pdf) and choose to send it by email, it does not show up in my sent folder. Yet if I send an email within the email client and attach something it does show in my sent folder.

How do I set it to show in the sent folder when I right click an item and choose send by email?

2. 2016/08/10
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Alicia - I wonder if you are actually sending the email. Does the recipient receive it even though it does not show up in the Sent Items folder?

Not a procedure I have had occasion to use before - I always attach to emails, but I tried out the process using Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 and it worked just fine!

When you right click on a file in Explorer and select Send to > Mail Recipient an Outlook new message window opens headed 'Emailing : name of file - message (plain text)' with the attachment in place and a generic message in the message pane -

'Your message is ready to be sent with the following file or link attachments:
    File name'

The 'To' box must be filled in with with the recipients email address and the Send button pressed. That's it!

BTW - I am not trying to teach you how to '**** eggs' - just checking that you are following the procedure through !!

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/08/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

My Outlook 2010 works well just like Pete's does.

5. 2016/08/10

Yes I am doing the procedure correctly. I have confirmed that people are receiving the email. I also just sent one to myself and it's not in the sent folder.

If I open Outlook after I have sent the message I can see it in the outbox just before it send it.

Guess where I found these sent emails, in the Outlook Data file sent folder. How do I get these messages to show in the identity that they are being sent from?

Last edited: 2016/08/10
  6. 2016/08/10
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I got the same thing except I get a copy in the sent folder. Try sending with Outlook open when you right click on the file.

At my office, Outlook 2010 also adds the following to the mail which I didn't notice on my home computer:

7. 2016/08/10
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

One thing to try. Click File, and then Options. In the Outlook Options dialog, click Mail.

In the Save messages section, be sure the box by "Save copies of messages in the Sent Items folder" has a check mark in it.

8. 2016/08/10

Thanks antic. I did find the option to do that, but it seems that with 3 sent folders, Outlook Data sent folder, my sent folder, and my spouse's sent folder, the default is the Outlook data folder. If I want the sent email to go to a different folder, I have to change it every time.

9. 2016/08/10
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

You may be able to create a rule to do what you want. This MS Support article may help:

Manage email messages by using rules

I don't have a copy of Outlook 2010 to play with, so can't coach you through it. You'll have to experiment, unless someone else here steps up.

10. 2016/08/10

Unfortunately I don't see a custom rule that would address my issue. I think it's a glitch in Outlook. I have read others having the same issue, no solutions though.

If all of sent messages were going to the Outlook data sent file there could perhaps be a way to fix it, but it's only the messages with attachments done thru a right click send to. Thanks for the link though. Unless of course I'm missing something in there.

11. 2016/08/10
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Maybe easier to just create a minimal message and attach to it, like cover sheet for a fax. Sorry I could not be of more help. Good luck.

12. 2016/08/10

Thanks antik for your help.

Steve I tried your suggestion of having Outlook open but got the same results.

13. 2016/08/10
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

Here is a rule that might work. I can't test it. Your choice whether to try.

Click on File, then Info. This should get you the Account Information screen.
    Click on Manage Rules and Alerts. From the E-mail Rules tab, click on New Rule.
    Under “Start from a blank rule”, click “Apply rule on messages I send” and click Next.
    Under “Step 1: Select conditions”, check the box “with specific words in the subject”
    In "Step 2: Edit the rule description” click on the link "specific words "
    A Search Text window appears. Type your code word or words. Click Add, then OK.
    In step 2, you should now see your code word as the link. Click Next.
    In screen “What do you want to do with this message?" and "Step 1: Select Actions”,
    check the box “move it to the specified folder”
    Under “Step 2: Edit the rule description”, click on the "specified" link.
    When the window opens, select the folder and click OK.
    When the Exceptions window appears, click Next.
    In the next window, click Finish, then OK.

Your rule will be applied with the next attachment sent if your code word is in the subject line.

14. 2016/08/10

Interesting. Unfortunately there are 3 sent boxes in my Outlook. Outlook Data, mine and one other. Any rule option I've found applies the rule to all three. I want my sent email with attachments as a Rclick to my sent box, and the others to their respective sent boxes. I think the same problem would apply here.

I did find a custom rule for attachments but again, it would apply to all three together. Thanks for posting that.

15. 2016/08/10
    antik

antik Well-Known Member

You are welcome.