1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Questions on Foreign Address on my network.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Diana006, 2015/08/10.

1. 2015/08/10
    Diana006

Diana006 Inactive Thread Starter

I'm not sure if this is where this needs to be posted so it is ok if you have to move it. My computer is a Dell XPS with Windows XP, and the printer is a Canon MG2920.

Ok so I just bought a new Canon printer, which is supposed to be wireless. My sister bought the same one and neither of us can connect wirelessly to the machines. I called Canon tech support and he said I had to go and remove all the Foreign Addresses from my computer before he could help me link the printer wirelessly to my computer. He said he could send me to the Cisco tech support guy to do this but it was going to cost me between $180 to $500 to do this. I was just curious if anyone else has had this problem or whether they are just stringing a line of BS about having to pay to have them removed. And if this is an issue is there a way to remove those foreign addresses from my network?

2. 2015/08/10
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

did you run the software that came with printer and follow the instructions. do you have the installation guide? Canon Installation Guide I hooked up a lot printers and never heard of foreign addresses removal. Are you in the USA.

Last edited: 2015/08/10
    lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/10
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Diana006, Welcome to WindowsBBS. :) I would ask you first, have you got a Network/Wireless card in your computer?
    I'm pretty sure I had to install a USB Wireless Adapter to my XP comp to enable a wireless connection to my HP wireless printer.
    It would help us if you could take the time to fill in your System Details under UserCP.
    If you don't know your comps full specs, download Speccy from here:http://filehippo.com/download_speccy/ and Run to install.
    You can then fill in the Edit System Specs. When finished don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and Save before you close out the UserCP. Neil.

5. 2015/08/11
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Take it back and get a better printer. That printer has 2 connections methods: USB wire directly to computer or wifi directly to computer. It is NOT a true network printer.

A real network printer connects directly to a router either by cat5 wire or wifi. Once connected to a router, any device on the network can use the printer.

The ONLY ways to use that printer with Windows operating systems is by USB cable or by the computer's wifi adapter. If your comp does not have wifi then you must use USB.

That printer has its own built in Access Point for wifi connections. Thus the real problem is that Windows will only let you connect to ONE access point at a time. If you connect to the Internet (wifi router) you must disconnect, then connect to the printer, then use the printer, then disconnect, then connect back to router...a real pain in the arse.

Return it and get a HP printer that has a built in network port for wire. Then connect it to your router, install the software and enjoy.

re Foreign Addresses

A foreign address is an IP address of a computer outside of your network that has an active connection to your computer. That there are servers or computers with active connections to your computer is not necessarily bad. An antivirus program can maintain a connection to its parent servers and get updates, Windows Update makes connections to Microsoft, other software gets updates. Malware can also make connections outside your network.

If unsure re foreign addresses on your comp then:

Read this post, then post the requested log(s) in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.