1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Questions about HP DV9000 laptops

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by Alex Ethridge, 2010/12/14.

1. 2010/12/14
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Did all HP Pavilion DV9000 laptops ship with dual hard disk capability?

Concerning the DV9000's that will support dual hard disks, is there a way to determine the maximum hard disk size a given DV9000 will support?

2. 2010/12/15
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Hi Alex, we are not HP experts. I wish I had the time to research for you, but...

The HP website is one of the best for their knowledgebase. Do you own that model? If you do, you can go to the model's webpage at their website and start searching from there. You will learn a lot along the way.

What does "dual" mean? The User Guide/manual should tell you if there are actually two places in the laptop to connect two HDDs. It might mean you can use a SATA HDD or swap for a solid state drive.

One of the manuals should tell you. Most have an asterisk that says "certain models only ". Identify the HDD port or ports on the laptop. Is there one or two?

I don't expect it should hard to identify where you can access the HDD, look on the back or the side.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/15
    Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I don't own that model but am thinking of buying one that supports dual hard disks on ebay.

Yes, "dual" means it has two hard disk bays and uses both disks just like a desktop that supports more than one.

HP's we site isn't helpful. It gives only the "official" numbers at time of release which state it supports up to 240G, 120 in each bay. That isn't always correct as I have seen similar numbers for other laptops (supposedly limited to 120G or so) that have no problem supporting 640G in the real world.

The size of hard disk they support is usually a function of the main board's chipset and I don't know how to determine the exact chipset or find the chipset's hard disk support capability. Again, HP's web site isn't helpful here either. They may list it has an nVidia chipset; but, they don't mention which nVidia.

Again, I don't own one yet and I need to know how to find this information maybe with the exact model number. The model series may be DV9000; but, there are dozens of more exacting model numbers on the bottoms of the DV9000 series computers (example: DV9025ea).

5. 2010/12/16
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

You should be able to contact the seller on Ebay and get them to tell you the specific model.

The size of the drive recognised is a function of the BIOS as far as I know. Go the HP website forums, there should be a link on the Support webpage. You can search or ask there.

I don't know of any manufacturers that will tell you the size limit of HDDs. It is often the largest HDD around at the time the BIOS was manufactured, because I suppose, that is all that they have available to test. Bigger ones may work (or may not). HP have a very basic BIOS and they may quote those sizes to cover themselves, but they may not even know what the limit is.

I suppose if you take their advice you are safe. If you go higher you take your chances. Buy the HDD from a supplier that will take an exchange or refund if it is the "wrong one ".

Matt

6. 2010/12/16
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

There are two HDD Bays on the bottom of the Laptop also there is a product number located there to. The product and serial numbers can also be found when you open up the support assistant or PC Dashboard. When you locate the proiduct number. Go hp.com support type in the product number. You should be able to pull up the manuals for your laptop. Hope this helps.

lj50,