1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Program].exe has generated errors.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Adele2001, 2004/06/06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/06/06
    Adele2001

Adele2001 Inactive Thread Starter

A few days ago, my kids game decided to stop working and everytime we tried to start it, we got the following message:

[Program].exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game but the same thing happened.

Yesterday, I downloaded demo of Need for Speed and when I tried to open the game, I got the same error message.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks.

2. 2004/06/06
    Newt

Newt Inactive

start~run~eventvwr and look for related errors/warnings. Post back with the additional informaion from the logs.

Newt,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/06/06
    Adele2001

Ok, I went into Event Viewer. Under application log, I have a few Errors/Warnings, not sure if they are the right ones but they state:

1. Windows cannot unload your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not replicated. Contact your administrator. DETAIL: Access is denied.

2. The description for Event ID ( 13 ) in Source ( ccEvtMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: ccEvtMgr: Settings server is not installed..

3. The description for Event ID ( 13 ) in Source ( ccEvtMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: ccEvtMgr: Failed to create the Trust Module..

4. The description for Event ID ( 13 ) in Source ( ccEvtMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: ccEvtMgr: Loaded the default configuration settings..

The following error is under System Log:

Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address ************. The IP address being used is ***.***.***.***. (I erased letters/numbers, not sure if I should be publishing them!!)

Don't know if this is any help to you. Hope so.

5. 2004/06/06
    Adele2001

Was just checking that again, maybe this will help:

The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 06/06/2004 @ 20:30:46.412 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00407667 (<nosymbols>)

6. 2004/06/07
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Interesting.

Are you part of a network? If so, workgroups or a domain?

#2, 3, 4 are all indications that the PC isn't real happy with Norton.

With the error from the system log, lets see the whole thing. And no problems showing the IP address. Might help and can't hurt you. To get a copy for pasting here, open the event, click on the icon below the up/down arrows (sends a text copy to your clipboard) and paste the results here.

I'd also like to see the same detail on that last application error you posted.

Newt,
  7. 2004/06/08
    Adele2001

Nope, not part of a network, workgroup or domain. Just a simple home PC.

I do not have Norton on my computer anymore. I had a demo version for a while but uninstalled it as I got AVG instead.

I trust you!! Here is what came up in System Log:

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: Dhcp
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1007
    Date: 6/7/2004
    Time: 8:07:58 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: *******
    Description:
    Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 00A0C5440D7C. The IP address being used is 169.254.156.114.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 ....

Will have to do application error as another reply. Won't let me put the whole thing on this one.

8. 2004/06/08
    Adele2001

Application error as follows:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: DrWatson
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 4097
    Date: 6/7/2004
    Time: 11:15:34 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: SPENCER-01
    Description:
    The application, , generated an application error The error occurred on 06/07/2004 @ 11:15:34.294 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 00407667 (<nosymbols>)

Won't let me put in the rest!!
    Too long!

9. 2004/06/08
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Thanks. That helps. And if the part you couldn't fit in was under 'data' and was strings of numbers, I'm not smart enough to figure out anything from them anyway so nothing lost.

You did not get rid of all the pieces of Norton. The errors you are seeing with ccEvtMgr are pretty harmless but are due to a piece of Norton hanging around. What version were you running? If 2003 or older there is a cleanup utility you can get free from Symantec to clean out the remaining fragments.

Event Source: Dhcp
    Your computer ......The IP address being used is 169.254.156.114.
    That IP address is one the PC will assign itself if it is set to get it's address from another device (the DHCP server) cannot find it. You say you don't have a network but you obviously do have a network card. How are you connecting to the internet?

The event ID: 4097 is tough to track down without an application listed. It says 'something' is failing but no real clue what. Here is a cleanup routine to try that may help and certainly can't hurt.
    - from Internet Explorer, empty all cookies and temporary internet files. If you are using another browser, you will want to do the same clean-outs with it.
    - empty your recycle bin.
    - Click on start / run and put cmd in the line then OK. When you get a command prompt, chkdsk /f and enter then follow the prompts to have the chkdsk done at next boot then reboot.
    - start / run and put sfc /scannow in the line and then OK. You may be prompted to put your install CD in the drive and if so, do that. If you are running a service pack older than SP4 you may need to reapply the service pack after you are done. Hard to tell.

Newt,
  10. 2004/06/09
    Adele2001

Thanks. Cleared out Norton etc.

Am connecting to the internet by broadband dsl modem.

When I entered sfc /sannow, I have to insert CD which I do not have!! I used to have Windows 98 but a friend took away computer and reformatted hard drive recently and put on Windows 2000 Pro. He has the disk!!

Now if I could just get it back ......

11. 2004/06/09
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You need the disk. When you run sfc /scannow the utility will start looking at your system files and will only ask for the CD when/if it finds a damaged one that needs replacing or a missing one.

12. 2004/06/17
    Adele2001

Sorry for taking so long to post back. Finally got the disk. Now I have another problem. The disk is Windows 2000 Pro SP2 and I have SP4 so it will not accept the disk. I have tried to uninstall SP4 but it is not appearing in my Add/Remove Programs list. How do I uninstall it?

13. 2004/06/17
    Newt

Newt Inactive

You don't want to remove SP4 unless you absolutely have to.

If you have access to a CD burner you can update the CD you have so it is 2K /w SP4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.