1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Program].exe has generated errors - spyware problem?

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by AngieKae, 2004/07/20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/07/20
    AngieKae

AngieKae Inactive Thread Starter

Edit note: split from a similar thread into a new thread and then moved from 2K to Security. Newt

Hello :) .. I too am experiencing this error message suddenly. I went to Start .. Run .. eventvwr and there are many, many things listed there. Way to many to list here. (2,759 in System Log - 473 in Application Log, to be exact) This being the case, how can I get this information to you so that you might be able to help me fix the problem? I, like Adele, also have Win2k SP4, and my installation CD is SP2.

Just to give you a little bit of history, my computer was attacked, or was being controlled by a remote machine rather, about a month ago. Since that time, I have installed a firewall (ZoneAlarm), Spybot Search & Destroy, and Reliable AntiVirus. There were quite a few "viruses ", "spybots" & "trojans" on my pc after the attack, but were taken care of by the abovementioned programs. Many changes were made to my registry, some by these same programs, some manually (with instruction) by me. The programs I am getting this error with are Cool Edit Pro and Adobe Audition (which are actually the same program, the latter one a newer version of the former with a name change after a buyout).

Please tell me what I need to show you so that you might be able to see where the problem lies.

Thank you,
    Angie

2. 2004/07/20
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

AngieKae
    You very well could still have hidden issues.

Make sure you have the up-to-date versions of Spybot (v1.3), Ad-aware (build 6.181) and HijackThis. All are free and available bellow.

Download Spybot, install, update and run Spybot. Delete all it finds that is prechecked. Then download Ad-aware, install, update and configure Ad-aware for a custom full scan and run, deleting all it finds. http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/fullscan/index.html

Download HijackThis from link in my signature. (Located with CWShredder)

Save it to a permanent folder (I create a new folder in C:\ named HJT). Open and hit scan, then save log. Once it is saved it will open in notepad. Select all from the edit button, copy and paste the results here. Don't fix anything with it yet! Someone experienced with the logs will advise you.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/07/20
    Newt

Newt Inactive

AngieKae - welcome to windowsbbs.com.

I've split this off from the original post so it will get better attention with no confusion between the original posters problem and yours. Also moved it to this section since we are trying to concentrate all threads with a Hijackthis log into security regardless of the OS version. Just a housekeeping thing.

Newt,
  5. 2004/07/20
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Newt, feeling a bit lazy. LOL! Mind putting up a link to Adele's thread for a quick reference as to what her problem might be. (assuming she posted to that thread, and you know right where it is (cause you split it), and it is related some way other than the same OS :rolleyes: ) I guess I could search if I have to. ;)

6. 2004/07/20
    LDTate

LDTate Inactive

Thanks Newt, thought you might do that.

7. 2004/07/20
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Sorry Dave. I keep forgetting that if I split off the new stuff, the post drops back to the last remaining post date. Oops.

[Program].exe has generated errors. was the original thread.

Newt,
  8. 2004/07/20
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Thanks. :)

9. 2004/07/20
    noahdfear

noahdfear Inactive

Hi AngieKae! I also welcome you to WindowsBBS. :)

One of two things in addition to LD's suggestions. Either pick the most recent errors that might appear to be related or clear the logs and post the event info after a couple of reboots/errors.

10. 2004/07/21
    AngieKae

AngieKae Inactive Thread Starter

Thank you both! :)

I have to go out of town for a few weeks unexpectedly. I will be leaving in the morning, so I wont have time before I go to do as you instructed. My computer will not be online while I am away, so I will follow up when I return. I'm actually looking forward to it! :D

Thank you again and see you in about 3 weeks,
    Angie

11. 2004/08/25
    kirsch67

kirsch67 Inactive

I'm having this exact same problem, with the same programs. I'd be very interested in any advice.

thanks in advance.

12. 2004/08/26
    Newt

Newt Inactive

Hi kirsch67 and welcome to the forum.

Best idea is for you to post a new thread and give details about your system and your problem.

AngieKae - if you are back and looking at this, probably better to get a fresh start on your problem as well.

I'm locking this thread since working with multiple folks having problems and all results and suggestions in the same thread just gets too confusing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.