1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Product key no good -- help?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by no idea, 2017/12/27.

1. 2017/12/27
    no idea

no idea Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi, lovely Windows BBS people. Long story short, I'm retiring my 2009 eMachines tower computer in preparation for a cross-country move. I'll miss it! I have a Sony VAIO laptop to which I am moving all my files, and several weeks ago purchased on eBay a pristine cd version of Microsoft Office Professional 2010, brand new package, not much money, thinking it would be great to use on my laptop. Installed like a dream! Then... I went to actually update a spreadsheet on the VAIO, and got a dialog box saying to activate my software. And all that glittered was not even real glitter, let alone gold. :(

The package I bought came "Licensed for noncommercial use on up to 3 home PCs." However, I put in my product key and a warning then indicated all three of the product key uses were used, and activation was impossible. No number to call at Microsoft and ask for help... the person I purchased the cd from hasn't returned my (very cordial and courteous) emails asking for suggestions... I'm very disappointed; I could've used a bargain deal that actually worked...

Do I simply need to buy valid software from Microsoft, and update to either 2013 or 2016? My move is looming, and I want to get the laptop going... Anyway... Merry Christmas...

2. 2017/12/27
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

If you haven't installed it, I would say you got took by whom ever you bought the software from.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/27
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

no idea likes this.
  5. 2017/12/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You will be able to contact MS for help. One of the options when activating shows your nearest MS phone contact. I have been through this exercise many times and found MS very helpful.
    The fact that the install has reached maximum can be checked by MS and MS can tell if they are still active. Give it a try before you drop it. Make sure you follow all instructions and have the Product Key near at hand.

6. 2017/12/27
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi no idea. With the Microsoft office package that you bought, was the package sealed and was the product key not scratched off which showed the key?

If it was brand new then the product key should not have been used but the fact that the product key didn't work and showed that all 3 licenses were already in use showed that you got scammed and that you ended up buying a useless version of Microsoft Office.

Your only recourse, is to contact Ebay and file a fraudulent claim with them asking for a refund and then re-buying Microsoft Office using the link that Steve linked to.

7. 2017/12/27
    no idea

Thank you. Nope, not quartet-guy. I very much appreciate your input. I know it could be so much worse, and I'm not complaining. :) Do you think the person "took" me? Or do you think the product key somehow was stolen by someone else?

8. 2017/12/27
    no idea

Hello, Evan -- The package was shrink-wrapped, and looked completely intact. I believe I broke the "bar code seal" when I opened the "book" -- as well, there's a little ribbon across the sealed opening and it seemed intact as well. Thanks for your help.

9. 2017/12/27
    no idea

Thank you -- is there a particular phone number that I should look for? Much appreciate your input.

10. 2017/12/28
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

When you try the Manual Activation (if I remember correctly) you input your Global area and the appropriate Phone numbers will be displayed.

11. 2017/12/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff