1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Problems with RunLiveUpdate feature of Norton Internet Protection 2010]

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by joshuaburnham, 2010/12/28.

1. 2010/12/28
    joshuaburnham

joshuaburnham Inactive Thread Starter

Hello. I am running on Windows 7, and I am exeriencing difficulties with the RunLiveUpdate feature of Norton Internet Protection 2010. It states that it is not able to connect to the internet, even though my internet connection is connected, and operating at quick speeds. I already allowed it on my Windows Firewell, but it did not allow the update to go through. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. 2010/12/28
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Welcome to BBS,

Try turning the firewall off and see if it helps, then report back.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/12/28
    joshuaburnham

I do not know how to turn off the firewall without going through the control panel. I went through control panel, into the System and Security, clicked on windows firewall, and it does say on the left "Turn Windows Firewall On or Off ", but it does not allow me to highlight this option. Is there any other way I can turn it off?

5. 2010/12/28
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

As you move your mouse pointer over "Turn Windows Firewall On or Off" it should turn blue, click on it and it should go to another page where you select what to change in the settings.

Try again and tell me what is happening, there could be a problem with your firewall.

6. 2010/12/28
    joshuaburnham

The first four options cannot be highlighted. They read "Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall ", "Change notification settings ", "Turn Windows Firewall on or off ", and "Restore defaults." All of these options are in dark blue text and will not highlight or underline. The final two options will highlight and underline however, "Advanced defaults ", and "Troubleshoot my network. "

7. 2010/12/28
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Norton should have its own firewall. Is your subscription still valid.

lj50,
  8. 2010/12/29
    markmadras

markmadras Banned

Thanks lj50, I just looked up the details of Norton 2010 and it does include a firewall so the Windows firewall would be disabled.

Is you subscription still valid? I would have thought you would be getting lots of pop ups telling you it was due for renewel if that is the case.

Try this link direct to Norton update and click on the "Update Me Now" button.

http://updatecenter.norton.com/

If this action fails then you should download and run the Norton removal tool from the link below.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view.jsp?wv_type=public_web&docurl=20080710133834EN

Then you can choose between reinstalling Norton or giving Microsoft Security Essentials a try, an excellent free anti virus from microsoft, just as good if not better than Norton.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/support.aspx?mkt=en-us

Last edited: 2010/12/29
  9. 2010/12/29
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You're right Mark about the pop-ups. I was only getting warnings every 7 days. When I had approximately 3 days left I was geting pop-ups at each start up.

lj50,