1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved [Problems transferring files from XP to Windows 7]

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Genestoy, 2010/03/27.

1. 2010/03/27
    Genestoy

Genestoy Inactive Thread Starter

Hi all, been awhile since I have needed some help, just got a new computer with Windows 7 and I am trying to transfer files from my old XP machine to the new one.
    1) I can not see all the files on both machines (most are visible but not all), how do enable that so I can see all?
    2) I am getting the permission stuff that I can't transfer certain files? How do I disable that?
    3) I am the administrator and that is the only acct
    I have the two machines connected via my home network (cat5 cable)
    Thanks for any help!

EDIT: #1 has been fixed, the files/folders were set as hidden

Last edited: 2010/03/28
  2. 2010/03/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/03/29
    Genestoy

Thanks Arie, I got all the files transferred ok but I still have a problem I think. When I right click on the start button all I see is "Properties" and "Open Windows Explorer" and I should have other options like users etc? The only account on the computer is the Administrator so the computer just boots to the desktop and nobody needs to sign in. I still am getting some of the "You don't have permission" etc stuff too. I have taken "Ownership" of most of the files so I can see them now.
    Thanks for any help with this.
    Gene

5. 2010/03/29
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Nope, those are the only two options you see when right clicking the Start button.

I can't help much on "permission" problems, my only suggestion is to store stuff in their default locations...

Arie,
  6. 2010/03/31
    Genestoy

What I ended up doing to solve the issues was to create a new user/admin accounts on both machines with the same name "Transfer" and the same passwords (as suggested here in another topic) and it now works great. I update my laptop every so often with files that I change frequently on the main computer so I needed this to work easily. Thanks for the help!
    Gene