1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problems reinstalling Windows 98SE to fix issue

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by chadandem, 2005/01/04.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2005/01/04
    chadandem

chadandem Inactive Thread Starter

I put a new CD-RW drive into my parents computer. I did not realize that Win 98SE would not just recognize it and be fine. From searching around I found that I should have uninstalled all the old software and disabled the old drive first. I did not do this.
    When I tried to restart, I receive the error: While Initializing Device IOS: Error: AN I/O Subsystem Driver Failed to load. either a file in the \IOSubsys.sub directory is corrupt, or the system is low on memory. Now, I can boot to Safe Mode, but cannot load Windows. I ran Scandisk. No fixes
    I searched around and disabled the CD-RW drive and uninstalled the software in safe mode.
    Restart, same error message. I ran scanreg/restore to a regustry from 3 days before the installation of the new drive. No help.
    I again, searched around and found the best fix is to reinstall Windows. Multiple sites including Microsoft discuss this error and advise a reinstall.
    All of the places say to first: insert Startup disk and restart to command prompt. At command, type c: and then enter. Type cd\Windows\system, and then enter. Type ren iosubsys iosubold, and then enter. Then re-install.
    I did not read very closely. I inserted the Windows Boot disk, not the Startup disk. I came right to a c: command prompt. I did not hit Shift F5 and come to an a: command prompt where I had to type c:
    I followed the directions from there to rename the IOsubsys folder. I re-installed Windows. Same error message.
    I went back and disconnected the new CD-RW drive and tried to re-install again. Same error.
    I connected the old CD-RW drive and re-installed again, same error.
    I went back and correctly followed the directions to rename the IOsubsys folder and re-installed Windows. Same error: While Initializing Device IOS: Error: AN I/O Subsystem Driver Failed to load. either a file in the \IOSubsys.sub directory is corrupt, or the system is low on memory.
    So do I need to reformat this hard drive?
    What are my options?

2. 2005/01/04
    sparrow

sparrow Inactive

Try booting to dos prompt (tap F8 repeatedly as it boots to get the menu) and at the prompt type:
    scandisk /restore
    and pick a time before you installed the new drive. You should have 4-5 days to choose from.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2005/01/04
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

It has been awhile but shouldn't that be SCANREG /RESTORE ?

That is the file I have on my SUD that I use to restore the 98 Registry.

BillyBob

5. 2005/01/05
    chadandem

I have tried that it did not affect anything

Any other ideas?

6. 2005/01/05
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

A better and more reliable way to re-install 98 is to;

Boot to the Startup floppy.

Type ) CDROM letter ( such as ) D:\win98\setup.

If the CDROM does not work from here then it could be a jumper problem.
    The CDROM is just not suitable for the machine.
    Or your version of Windows may not have the proper driver for that CDROM.
    If it will not work when booting from the Floppy anyone of the above could apply.

Some newer hardware has to be checked ( at least the Driver part ) CAREFULLY to be sure it is suitable for an older OS.

Also booting straight to the floppy will prevent any of the existing Windows from being loaded and inuse. And assures a much better replace/overwrite.

And also helps GREATLY to prevent Windows from going anywhere other than C:\Windows.

ie: It does not make a new folder such as C:\Wind0ws001. Which can happen if the machine is booted from the HD and the install process is not watched CAREFULLY.

And last but not least.I myself have NEVER had to install anything to get DOS/Windows to recognize a CDROM Drive.

BillyBob

7. 2005/01/06
    chadandem

Thanks for all your help. I tried the suggestions, still not working. Then I thought that I had only disabled the CD-RW, DVD, and mouse in device manager. Maybe I should go one by one until it fails. After a while, I found out it was actually a sound issue. Windows is running fine, with the the two sound devices disabled. Thanks again for the help all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.