1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Problem with windows update -- error number 0x8007043B

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crengineer, 2008/04/26.

1. 2008/04/26
    crengineer

crengineer Inactive Thread Starter

Hello, I am having a problem with automatic updates not working after using update option to reinstall windows on my laptop.

PcCillin says to update windows to fix known security vulnerabilities. When I do this I get the error 0x8007043B. I went to windows update fix it yourself tool and followed the procedure to start the automatic updates service. That did not work kept getting error 1083: The executable program that this service is configured to run in does not implement the service. So I followed the procedure to Add WUAUSERV and BITS to the SvcHost process as the registry did not appear to have these values in the netscvs key. I am pretty sure this was not done correctly as I did not really know how to enter the m into value data entry box.

Then I found this thread http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=71054

I followed the procedure outlined in the referenced article (Microsoft KB910337) but cannot seem to get past the 1083 error.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you -- Jay

Edit (7:40pm) -- After following the procedure to configure BITS for manual operation I am still unable to start the BITS service. "Get the 1083 error "

Last edited: 2008/04/26
  2. 2008/04/27
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

Please report what error messages (if any) you receive when you follow the procedure.

Also list any related errors from your Event log.

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/04/27
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

Yes this info would be helpful!

But try this:

Go here get Dial-A-Fix

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4899.html

May need XP CD!

When run clear any restrictions

then

Check all boxes on the page and GO

If still not working

Second page (HammerHead) and Reinstall BITs.

If you get an error (this can be a good thing) note the file named in the error and post it back to here.

Mike

5. 2008/04/27
    crengineer

crengineer Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys. Last night while I was waiting or replies I decided to redo everything that I did just to make sure I didn't make any mistakes the first time.

I started by using regedit to add BITS and WUAUSERV values to the netscvs key in the registry. Now, after a reboot, everything appears to be working fine again. Not sure why it didn't work the first time but I have got automatic updates working again.

Once again thank you.

Jay

6. 2008/04/27
    mflynn

mflynn Inactive

10-4!

Thanks for getting back!

Mike