1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

problem w/p3.sys on reinstall of xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eroica, 2007/03/28.

1. 2007/03/28
    eroica

eroica Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    hello,
    had to do a reinstall of XP on my Dell piii and on 56% thru installing files it said it couldnt copy p3.sys & k?.sys(im not sure of letter after the k). I hit escape and install continued but then wouldnt reboot.i was wondering what those files did? I saw something about it having to do with the processor and in one KB article it was related to a soft modem trouble. Has anyone else experienced this trouble and what did they do rectify situation. I would be most appreciative for any input on solving this trouble....

2. 2007/03/28
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Computer Experience:
    indeterminate
    Hello eroica,

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/sys/1026-P3sys.html

The link above defines what the file is.

The following link suggests what the problem may be. Starting with a bad install disc to a need to update your BIOS and your motherboard chipset drivers, which given the age of your system is likely.

http://www.allpostnews.co.uk/i1/Instal windows xp pro home impossible copier p3 sys help.php

If one of the hardware experts reads this, they'll be better able to explain and point you in the right direction.

Regards - Charles

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/03/29
    eroica

eroica Inactive Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    intermediate
    thanx,i did a reinstall and got same message but intall then proceeded w/o any further incident and i have xp up and running now. i'll see if install is stable....

5. 2007/03/29
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Computer Experience:
    indeterminate
    Great! Thanks for posting back :)

It might well have been the disc then.

Regards - Charles