1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Problem getting paired tablet keyboard to function correctly.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices' started by sandilew, 2017/04/06.

1. 2017/04/06
    sandilew Lifetime Subscription

sandilew Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello,

I recently purchased a Lenovo Tab 3 8" tablet, and because I've used typewriters and computers since forever, I purchased an IVSO Bluetooth Universal keyboard with case, made just for the Lenovo Tab 3 8". It was working just fine, but suddenly that is no longer happening. The keyboard (letters) are working OK, but none of the numbers are working.

I have a feeling that I must have accidently bumped a key or two and reset something, but I don't have a clue what. The keyboard is basically useless to me if I can't get the numbers to work along with the letter.

Is there ANYONE that might be able to troubleshoot this for me. I have tried to find a way to get help from IVSO, but so far I've had no luck there at all. Just finding the company has been a problem, as the keyboard is made in China, and the only IVSO I can find is in the UK, but I see no mention of their keyboards on the site. The user manual that came with the keyboard describes exactly how to pair the keyboard to your device, but that is all. There is no mention of where to get support anywhere. I am getting so frustrated. I've tried so many things and nothing is working so far. Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sandie

2. 2017/04/07
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Sandie, A Google for IVSO shows very little. One explanation of IVSO (Illinois Valley Symphony Orchestra) was no help. Many users are finding trouble as the instructions are vague. I would imagine that the Function key is a Master and possibly the Shift key. There does not appear to be a Number Lock shown on any of the keyboards shown in Amazon ads. I did find this:
    These quotes were all I could find on the practical use of IVSO keyboard. Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/04/07

Thank you Neil,

I will try that as soon as I get the chance and return to let you know if it works.
    I did learn that the battery life is for up to 90 hours of use before needing a recharge, which is great to know.

I really hope this solution corrects the problem. As I am more accustomed to a full sized keyboard, there is a period of adjustment using one that is smaller. I just have a very strong feeling that I accidently hit a combination of keys that cancelled out the use of the number keys as you would normally use them. And yes, they do function with the fn key and ctrl key to do much more than any other normal number keys do. Will get back to you as soon as I can.

Sandie

5. 2017/04/07

Hello Neil,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! I just followed the instructions you posted for me, and I have my number keys back and working just fine. I can't begin to understand why that information was not sent along with the keyboard for the 8" tablet in the first place. Maybe the company felt 8" tablet users wouldn't need it? Well, when a person is unaccustomed to a smaller keyboard, mistakes are bound to be made, and that is what I did. My fat fingers hit just the right keys at exactly the wrong time, but I didn't see what I had done when it happened. Thank goodness for Windows BBS! You people are my heroes. You have saved my neck with my computer many times, and now with my tablet/keyboard. LOL
    Love you folk!

Can't thank you enough, you have MADE MY DAY!
    Have a wonderful day yourself.

Sandie

Admin. likes this.
  6. 2017/04/07
    retiredlearner

You're welcome. ;) I have a Lenova TAB3 & Essential which runs Android 5 (Lollipop) and I use the Touch screen with BIG fingers, but as I have been used to Samsung S4 galaxy phones, I seem to manage OK with my touch. All new devices these day seem to assume that the user knows how it works without giving you a comprehensive User Manual.:eek:o_O

sandilew likes this.
  7. 2017/04/08

Hi,

How lucky was I that you too have a Lenovo tablet? I'll be honest with you, I had never heard of them until late last month when my Kindle Fire HDX died on me, and it was exactly 3 years old. I even looked up the expected life of a tablet, and learned something there too. Their life expectancy is 3 to 5 years, dependent on how much you use them, and how long/often they are plugged in. Since I've never owned a laptop, always a desktop (personal preference) and it's always been plugged in, when I bought my tablet I assumed rather than risk it losing it's charge, if possible keep it plugged in. And that is what I did. Plus, I used it often every day. So it was a big shock to me to read that tablets, much like cell phones, last longer if you do NOT keep them plugged in and fully charged all the time. Well that Kindle cost me just a few hundred less than my last desktop, and that lasted for 14 years. I was never spending that much money again for something with only a 3-5 year life span, so I went looking for a new tablet, but with a sweeter price tag, and came across the Lenovo Tab 3 8". I love it. The screen is great, colors fantastic, it does everything I need it to do, and it came with Android 5.1.1, but just days after setting it up there was a huge system update, and now it's running Android 6.0, and I don't know the "name" of it, can't remember although I did read it. But I still find it extremely awkward using those silly qwerty keyboards. I do NOT use a cell phone, do not own a smart phone, just a little folding Tracfone I keep in my purse for when I'm traveling, in case I might need to call for help. Partly because I do not get cell phone reception at my home, as I live in a very rural area up in the mountains.

The tablet is simply easier for me, so I am not up and down so much or sitting at the computer so much. So I feel as though I got really lucky when I chose the Lenovo. Who knew I was going to need help so soon, or that someone here would even have a clue what I was talking about? I'll be honest with you, when I posted my problem I did not have much hope for a successful resolution. When I received the e-mail letting me know someone has responded I was very surprised. The fact that you were also able to provide the exact information I needed, stunned me. I found the information that came with the tablet just fine, and there is a video too. But to send no explanation on how the keyboard worked was a huge disappointment. They are all different. I had a Belkin Bluetooth for the Kindle Fire, and I never had a question about what any of they keys were for or how they functioned. It was basically the very same as the one on my desktop. But this IVSO keyboard is so much more, common sense should have informed them that their customers might need a little more information. Oh well, water under the **** now, for me anyway.

Again, I cannot thank you enough. It has been my pleasure and very good fortune that you responded to my problem.
    Have a great day,
    Sandie

Last edited: 2017/04/08
  8. 2017/04/08
    retiredlearner

Hi Sandie, without labouring the point too much, I personally enjoy keeping up with the technology as much as I can and consequently I have little problem with understanding and using smart phones. I have stayed with Android (can't afford Apple) and the update you got was called "Marshmallow".
    My main Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 phone has had the 'treatment'. I "rooted" the phone and installed CyanogenMod 13, which is Android version 6.0.1 Marshmallow. These phones originally came out with "KitKat" and were updated to "Lollipop".
    Please Google the word "rooted" so that you will better understand what it means in the world of cell phones.
    Unfortunately, the Lenovo TAB3 has no user access to replace the battery if/when it needs renewal. We will need to take it to a service agent and be prepared to pay $$$ :eek: if we want to keep it going.

When charging the Tablet, it pays to charge it when the message appears on the screen advising LOW battery. Put it on charge and don't use it while it's charging as it will take longer to charge if it's in use. I put mine on charge and check it after 2 1/2 hours to see the state of charge. (Settings > battery.)
    These Tablets are like a smart phone (touch screen) and the dearer model of my one, comes with the ability to use as a phone as well. Just a bit too big to use as a cellphone for me, and I would feel like a nerd holding it to my ear and talking on it.o_O:D Cheers Neil.

sandilew likes this.
  9. 2017/04/09

So far I have not seen or heard any low battery WARNING, but when I see the battery is down to about 30% I plug it in. That is because I am afraid to let it get too low. LOL
    I checked the System information, and all it gives me is Android version 6.0.1, but does not mention Marshmallow or any other "name" for it. Guess they feel I don't need to know that. :)
    I am afraid that most of the time the charge gets low while I am using it, so I just plug it in, and keep on going. The only time it's not in use is when I'm sleeping or sitting here at the desktop (an hour or two each morning).

Aha!! You may not like using your tablet as a cell phone, but you are a nerd non the less. I just did as you suggested and looked up "rooting" in relation to cell phone use, and see that you must have a very good skill and/or knowledge of computers to figure out how to do that. That is something far beyond my capabilities, although I agree it would come in handy getting rid of the "bloatware" that came pre-installed. But as I KNOW nothing about it, I will just make do the best I can on that score. :)

Sandie

10. 2017/04/09
    retiredlearner

Sandie, FYI: Re Android version history
    Versions 1.0 and 1.1 were not released under specific code names, but since 2009's Android 1.5 Cupcake, Android versions have had confectionery-themed code names. Each is in alphabetical order, with the most recent major version being Android 7.0 Nougat, released in August 2016.[1]

Code name Version number Initial release date API level Support status[2]
    Alpha 1.0 September 23, 2008 1 Unsupported
    Beta 1.1 February 9, 2009 2 Unsupported
    Cupcake 1.5 April 27, 2009 3 Unsupported
    Donut 1.6 September 15, 2009 4 Unsupported
    Eclair 2.0 - 2.1 October 26, 2009 5 - 7 Unsupported
    Froyo 2.2 - 2.2.3 May 20, 2010 8 Unsupported
    Gingerbread 2.3 - 2.3.7 December 6, 2010 9 - 10 Unsupported
    Honeycomb 3.0 - 3.2.6 February 22, 2011 11 - 13 Unsupported
    Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 - 4.0.4 October 18, 2011 14 - 15 Unsupported
    Jelly Bean 4.1 - 4.3.1 July 9, 2012 16 - 18 Unsupported
    KitKat 4.4 - 4.4.4 October 31, 2013 19 Unsupported
    Lollipop 5.0 - 5.1.1 November 12, 2014 21 - 22 Unsupported
    Marshmallow 6.0 - 6.0.1 October 5, 2015 23 Unsupported
    Nougat 7.0 - 7.1.2 August 22, 2016 24 - 25 Supported
    Hope you have a sweet tooth :D As you can see Android has developed quicker than Windows. Cheers Neil.

sandilew likes this.
  11. 2017/04/10

Wow, I have no idea how or where you found all that info, but you did. :D I wonder why they use confectionary names? Maybe because they believe their product is sweeter than that of Microsoft or Apple? LOL
    Just two questions. How come they are all listed as unsupported? Microsoft continued to support older versions of their Windows OS long after they had been replaced by newer, updated versions. I thought that was very good of them.
    And second, If Nougat 7.0 -7.1.2 is the latest and only supported Android then why was I updated to Marshmallow? I should think they would want their customers to have the latest version of their software too, so that they are better protected from all the nasties out there. I use an anti-virus software on both my desktop and tablet, but a lot of people do not, making them extremely vulnerable. But having the latest updated version of their OS would give them some modicum of protection. Right?

Have a good day,
    Sandie

12. 2017/04/11
    retiredlearner

Since that bit of news Lollipop, Marshmallow and Nougat have been released. What will O be??? Orio or Orange?
    The versions of Android released by Google developers become unsupported when a new version is developed. This is mainly because the components of the device may not work properly with the latest version of Android.
    Your device manufacturer will provide support as security updates to ensure your version will work properly. My Lenovo TAB 3 received an OTA (over the air) update from Lenovo 2 days ago. It is still Android version 5.0.1 Lollipop but the Software version has been improved. There has/is a rapid development in mobile devices and new model smart phones are being released almost half-yearly. My Samsung S4 was released in March 2013 and Samsung have now released the S8!!

Your Lenovo TAB was released with Android 6 but it was an update like mine that you received. It will only ever go to Android 7 if Lenovo know the internals will work properly.
    I run MalwareBytes on my cell phones and so far all is well. I have 1 phone with Avast AV installed (I thinks it's on the one I gave my wife.)
    Younger cell phone users will fill their phones with Apps and compete with one another for who has more Apps than others and rarely install an AV. Then they wonder why the phone is slow and gets compromised.
    You need to look after your mobile devices as you would your Desktop computer. Cheers Neil.

sandilew likes this.
  13. 2017/04/11

As for protecting our devices with good software, I agree 100%, and that is exactly why I do. I use Emisoft anti-virus and anti-malware software on my dekstop, and I have Kaspersky anti-virus on my Lenovo Tab 3. And I also have enough common sense to NOT load up my device with any more than half the capacity of the hard drive. Very unlikely to slow down the device if it's no-where near full. Just the opposite with my vehicle, which I am loathed to allow the gas to be any less than 1/2 a tank! It does occasionally fall below the 1/2 mark, but not often since I am not fond of "gallivanting" about, and basically stay home most of the time.

Thank you for the explanation of why Android is named after sweets. I am sure it had made their lives very sweet indeed. :)

Have a great day!
    Sandie