1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Problem formatting empty space

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by psaulm119, 2016/03/01.

1. 2016/03/01
    psaulm119 Lifetime Subscription

psaulm119 Geek Member Thread Starter

I just installed Windows 10, and then I shrank my C partition. It now has 235 gigs of space. Next to it in Windows disk manager is empty space. I am trying to format it, adn then assign it a letter (F), so I can then use that empty space as my documents partition.

When I right click that space and select New Simple Volume, I get an error message:

The operation you selected will select the basic disk to dynamic disk. If you convert the disk to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volume on the disk, except the current boot volume.

Then, I hit OK (it sounds ominous, but I'm not sure what else to do).

I get another error message: the selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition that is not of type Partition_Basic_Data_GUID, and is both preceded and followed by a partition of type Partition_Basic_Data_GUID.

Any suggestions?

2. 2016/03/01
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Paul. Please post a screenshot of your Disk Management window so I can see what partitions you have, thanks.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/01

5. 2016/03/02
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

6. 2016/03/02

I already have 4 primary partitions assigned (if I "m reading the screenshot of the disk management, correct).

Should this new partition I am trying to create be a primary? I would never need to boot from it---it is a documents partition.

Steve's quote goes on: While you can assign a drive letter to a partition, you can also map it as a folder in modern versions of Windows, allowing more partitions, or use subst to mount it to a number. Does that point to what I need to do here?

Regardless, what do I need to do to get this space formatted as a partition?

7. 2016/03/02
    Evan Omo

You can remove the 2 recovery partitions to the right of the unallocated space. Right click on them and click on remove to delete the partitions. After those 2 partitions have been removed, simply right click on the unallocated space and create a new primary partition. When finished, you should have the SYSTEM_DRV, Windows 7, and your third primary partition created.

psaulm119 likes this.
  8. 2016/03/02

I thought of that, but the Q partition is a Lenovo recovery partition. It seems wise to me to keep that, in the event that I would need to recover an earlier state, factory condition, or just reinstall Windows 10.

I'm not sure what the empty partition is for, though. Because it says "recovery," I was thinking that it would be needed, in the event of a recovery to an earlier state.

Don't get me wrong, if I would not ever need that 450 megs, I'd be more than willing to delete the partition, then create another primary partition out of all that empty space.

Restoring my laptop to the original Windows 10 (actually, it came with Windows 7) would not need that 450 meg partition somehow?

9. 2016/03/02
    MasterChief

MasterChief Well-Known Member

The 449 recovery has no data on it. limitation is 4 so If you delete one of them then format and assign the new one a letter.

10. 2016/03/02
    Evan Omo

Both of those recovery partitions would be most likely needed in order to recover your system back to its default configuration. Since the computer came with Windows 7 and you have Windows 10 on the system, the recovery partitions become pretty much useless as if you recovered your system using the data on those partitions, you would be back to Windows 7 and would have to upgrade to Windows 10 again. Besides, if you would need to reinstall Windows 10, its better to perform a clean install anyway since in most cases, recovery partitions have a bunch of bloatware in the recovery image so that's another reason why I don't use them.

As long as you know where to find the drivers for your hardware devices and you have a Windows DVD available then you don't need a recovery partition at all.

psaulm119 likes this.
  11. 2016/03/03

Great. Called Lenovo (twice, just to be sure) and I was told both times that reformatting the hard drive would not void my warranty. I have a usb drive with the Windows 10 setup, and Lenovo told me they would mail me the Windows 7 disks for free (as a backup for my backup). So I should be good to go. Erased those partitions and now they are part of my D partition, for my documents.

Thanks Evan and everyone, actually, who posted here.

12. 2016/03/03
    Evan Omo

Excellent! Thanks for letting us know. :)