1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved printer prints test page, but nothing else

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by KILRQQY, 2009/07/30.

1. 2009/07/30
    KILRQQY

KILRQQY Inactive Thread Starter

I downloaded PDF Creator from filehippo.com. Since using the program my printer no longer prints. Tried reinstall and computer recognizes it, the printer will print a test page, but will not print on microsoft word, notepad, internet explorer nor any other app. It goes through the motions but just spits out a blank page. Tried removing PDF Creator and reinstalling printer, but that did not solve the problem. During reinstall you have to disconnect printer, load software first, so that's been done. I suspect PDF Creator was the culprit because it's always the last thing you mess with that causes your problem. In order to use the program you have to change the default printer setting to PDF Creator. I have since moved the default setting back to my printer, but that didn't help either. I've been working on this for close to a week. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. 2009/07/30
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

Welcome to the BBS,

You don't say you uninstalled the printer drivers/software before reinstalling. Look in Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs (don't forget to tell us the Windows version) for the uninstaller and say, for a Hewlett Packard printer, there is a "complete uninstaller" available for download at their website. HP also have a lot of knowledgebase articles on those sorts of problems. Check for troubleshooting information in the printer manual and as I am suggesting, at their website.

In the programs you mention, go to File -> Print and check what printer it is trying to use, the Properties, etc.

Matt

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/07/31
    KILRQQY

Thanks for the rapid reply, Mattman. I did uninstall the HP programs using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. Re-installed per HP instructions, copying driverss from disc, then
    plugging in the printer when prompted. The computer "sees" the printer, system says the drivers are in and printer is enabled. It prints a test page and another at calibration. When I try to print from any other program, it acts like it wants to print but just spits out a blank page.

5. 2009/07/31
    KILRQQY

Fixed itself

Mattman,
    I turned on the computer this AM and answered your inquiry. Downloaded and ran HP Diagnostic Program. It found no problems. Printer would not print a test page at this point. Followed HP's instructions to turn off printer for 30 seconds
    and, lo and behold, the little devil fixed itself. Yesterday when I turned it off for an hour it did nothing. Still baffled, but for now it's working fine. Thanks for your help, it was much appreciated.

6. 2009/07/31
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

:) Sometimes they do "pop in" themselves. Thing you need to do is keep working on it and not give up, which you have done well.

I will mark this resolved.

Matt