1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Printer Printing "Garbage"

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Panda, 2002/08/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/08/19
    Panda Lifetime Subscription

Panda Inactive Thread Starter

I'm ready to throw this computer OUT THE WINDOW!!! If anyone has been following my Lexmark/Compaq woes you will see that I am NOT happy with my Compaq any more. And, I'm starting to get peeeeeed off with M$! Here is the latest saga with my printer.

After Lexmark so nicely replaced my X63 with an X83, I started having a problem with my printing. It prints GARBAGE. If you don't know what that is, here is the answer. Garbage is extra stuff that you didn't tell it to print. The garbage just happens to look like the color bars that you get when you do a 'clean cartridge' test. You know what I mean. It prints lines and lines of color and black bars to clean the cartridges. The color bars print in this order: blue/red/yellow. On my printed paper there will be smatterings of these color bars anywhere from 1/16" across to 1" or more across. Sometimes I even get some weird black line bars, almost like a tic tac toe board only closer together. Here is a list of the programs that I have printed from that cause this problem:

Printmaster Gold, E-mail, MSWorks spreadsheet and word processor, pictures using Irfanview to print from and the TEST PRINT PAGE using the printer control panel on the computer.

Programs it DOESN'T print garbage from:

Notepad and e-mail that doesn't have color in it. A recipe printed from the Food Network.

This happens sporatically. We (tech and I) have changed the spool data format from PMJOURNAL to EMS. No go. I have changed the cartridges to new ones. No change. I bought a new gold plated USB cord. No difference. It's been un-installed and re-installed so many times that I can do it with my eyes closed now.

I can do a scan/copy using the printer only and have no problems. It's just that anything that has to come from my computer prints garbage. Mostly when I have color in it. If I just print plain black text it will print ok, but sometimes I get those little black lines. We have decided that my OS just isn't communicating correctly with my printer from any software, but it seems to do ok with anything strictly OS related and COMPAQ refuses to help me. M$ says it can't help. Lexmark is trying real hard to help, but has run out of ideas. They suggest that maybe I contact one of those little mom and pop computer stores (the kind that build them from the ground up) and see if they can help me tweak this darn thing to communicate right. Before I did that I thought I would holler, scream, yell, whine and stamp my feet at you all in here and hope and pray that someone might think of something else to do. The bottom line would be to get a new computer, but other than this problem, this computer has been running pretty good for the past 3 or more years. It's hard to justify buying a new one if the old one still works. Pretty much, anyway.

So. Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to make sure you had all the facts as far as I can remember them.

Anyone? Someone? Can you help me???????? :(

Thanks....

:)

2. 2002/08/20
    Rancher

Rancher Inactive

print protocal

Panda, have you checked the bios in the Intergrated Peripherals for ecp+epp & try a paralell printing cable? Ah....if this model has dual interface that is:)

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/08/20

Thanks for jumping in, Rancher.

Ummmmm. Huh????? :confused: You are talking areas I am not familiar with now. I've never messed with the BIOS before and don't know where to go or what to do. As for the dual interface, are you talking about hooking the printer up to a different port? My USB port sits in the front of my tower, if that makes any difference. Is it possible to hook the printer up to some place different in the back of my tower? I would have to get a different cable then, right? When I had problems with my other printer model, Compaq had me un-install the USB and re-install it and that didn't help with the software issue. Lexmark had me download an upgrade for the VIA chip for the USB and when I unzipped it, can I assume that it put everything where it belongs without me having to configure anything? And, shouldn't this have solved my problem? I guess I need a little more instruction for this.

Thanks.

5. 2002/08/20
    Rancher

Rancher Inactive

lexmark

I just read your manual @lexmark. There is only USB interface so forget the bios trick. I have copied this over

Version: 3.0.25.0 Date: 07/09/2002 Size: 17,762 KB

File Name: CJXP83LE.EXE

About My Driver

Instructions:

After downloading the driver file, do the following before you install the driver:
    1) Uninstall your current X83 driver.
    2) Lexmark recommends you download and run the X83 clean utility to remove any remaining driver files.
    3) Double click on new driver file to extract the driver and begin installation. Then, follow the on-screen instructions. DO NOT connect your USB cable until you are prompted by the X83 driver install program.

Driver Description:
    Lexmark X83 Driver for Microsoft Windows XP. Driver Version 3.0.25.0. This download only includes the printer and scanner software. For additional product related software, call Lexmark at (888) LEXMARK - (888) 539-6275, or "http://support.lexmark.com ". Click here for Lexmark X83 Firmware Upgrade . The printer driver can be downloaded from this web site free of charge. However, there will be a fee to cover materials and handling if requested from the Technical Support Center. Language: USA English
    Operating Systems: Windows XP
    Applications: Windows XP
    Owner Name: Lexmark
    Data Stream/Profile: Lexmark Scan and Copy Control Program
    Supported Printers: Lexmark X83

6. 2002/08/20

Rancher. You are such a dear for doing that research. :) I already know about the driver download and how to do it. Had to do it with the other model. Chatting with several different Tech people at Lexmark, we have already established that I don't need to download their driver. The one that came with my printer is the latest and most up to date. I appreciate your search efforts, but I don't think this will help. Since I got this X83 model, I have done several un-installs and re-installs. We even took everything out of startup before the last install and that didn't seem to make any difference. I think I'm to the point where I need to find a qualified computer geek in my area (oh gosh! I live in the booooonies!!!!!) and hope I can get a tweak from them. Unless someone else comes in with a HAIL MARY solution, I'm going to have to give this one up. Just don't know what to do next if a fix can't be found. Hate giving up the printer. Can't justify buying a new computer since this one works. Mostly. :rolleyes: Stuck between a rock and a hard place. LOL.

Thanks for your help. I'll keep watching in case I get lucky.

7. 2002/08/20
    Rancher

Rancher Inactive

Panda

Sure wish I had that Lexmark in front of me so I could make it work I'm sure.
    BTW...Home Depot opened in Fairbanks last April 1st, what a hit this is for us. Flooding in North Pole/ Salcha Area now..Chears & good luck with that Lexmark:)

8. 2002/08/20

It's not the printer, Rancher, it's the darn computer! I keep threatening to smash it with a hammer and it just sits there and laughs at me!!! Thanks, anyway, for all your suggestions.

HOME DEPOT???!!!??? Wow! You almost can't call it the 'Last Frontier' any more. Really moving up in the world. I was impressed when they built that baby freeway to the other side of town before I left. Wow. Home Depot. Just can't imagine that. Where is it? Give me a few landmarks so I can figure it out in my head. And, the flooding! Ouch. Did Santa's house wash away? Hope not! All the poor kiddies would be heartbroken. And, Salcha, too? Did everything between Salcha and North Pole wash out? Moose Creek? Eielson? Man, what a mess. My ex and I built a home in North Pole. Wonder if it's under water now? Who cares any more? LOL.

K. Thanks for the update.

9. 2002/08/21
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

There are two other factors which affect printing jobs: fonts and video drivers. I'd deal with fonts first.

Since you say it'll print okay from Notepad, which is usually allowed to use its default font and email...also usually allowed to use its default font...are you trying to print unusual and/or seldom used fonts? It may be that your printer can't deal with that. ;)

Trying printing something from one of your "problem" programs using a font like Times New Roman or Arial and see if that helps at all. If there's any improvement, then it's a font problem. If not, time to look into updating your video drivers.

Why do video drivers have anything to do with printing? Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

Miz,
  10. 2002/08/21

Thanks, Miz. I don't think it's the fonts. I have the same problem when printing pictures, like from my Printmaster program and from my digital camera, via my Irfanview. The main problem is when I print colors. When I do print with just black, I get the little criss cross black lines. The video card may be something else. I'll have to look into that one. Never heard of that before, but then again, never had THIS problem before. I'll keep you posted either way.

11. 2002/08/22

Oh Miz. I really thought we had something there with the video drivers. I downloaded an update and did a test print from MSW. The sheet came out clean! I then had to run errands in town and when I got back, I printed the same sheet just to see if it would work. Nope! Got the same garbage! :mad: I was really hoping that was the fix. I guess I'll just keep trying to find tweaks. I haven't taken the garbage papers to a puter geek in town yet. That will be next try.

Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Just had a brain fart! I wonder if I should un-install and re-install the printer....AGAIN...and see if that will work. Can't hurt.

Thanks, anyway, Miz.

Last edited: 2002/08/22
  12. 2002/08/22
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

Hmm...installed new video drivers and it printed clean. Left it, came back, printed again and it was garbage. Since the printing did clean up after a fresh video driver install, I think we might be zeroing in on the problem.

Did you do the driver install/clean print first thing after booting up (within in the first hour or so, that is)? Did you leave the computer running while you were gone? Could this possibly be a heat problem?

What kind of video card?

Ahhh...just remembered...this is a Compaq we're talking about. They're strange beasts and here's a strange fix...a VERY strange fix...for the same problem on a Compaq I worked on a few months ago.

I, after an hour or two and out of sheer desperation, downloaded and installed a shiny new copy of the latest version of DirectX. The printer has been working without a hitch since. What does DirectX have to do with printing? Who knows? But it worked on one Compaq so it might work on another. :D

Miz,
  13. 2002/08/22

Interesting. Let's see. I turned the puter on. Did some house stuff. Came back after about 2 hours. Downloaded the SP update from Compaq. Made sure my programs were all closed and did the install. Did the test. AOK. Ran into town to run errands. Came back after about 3 or 4 hours. Ran test and it bombed. Yes, I keep my puter running all day and then shut it down at night. I've been putting off taking my cover off the tower and blowing the air can in it. Heat related. Hmmmmm.

The video card is an ES1869 Control Interface. What I downloaded was an ATI Tech Enhanced Display Adapter for my Rage LT Pro AGP2x. When I click on the video in Device Manager and check for updated drivers it tells me that my current one is the most up to date one. I think maybe I didn't really get an updated video card? Did I have an Alzheimers moment???

DirectX. Hmmmmm. I hear so many different conflicting stories about that. How can I tell what version I have on mine? When I do a search for directx and check properties, I don't see a version #. I think there's an update for that at my critical update site. Should I get it and see if THAT works? I'm up for anything now!

***Darn! I just checked my history on downloads and installs from critical update and see that I did download the latest DirectX 8.1 ver. 4.8.1.881 last month. So much for THAT theory...***

Thanks, Miz for taking the time to help me with this. I'm so far past frustrated now.

Ummm...yes.....it's a COMPAQ....which is turning out to be more of a hassle machine than when I first got it. And, as you know, their tech support has been MAJORLY useless these past few months.

14. 2002/09/02

I'm still frustrated. Did a scan and defrag today and still have the problem. I chatted with someone today and they mentioned that maybe I should just upgrade my win98 to SE. Will cost me about $80 at Sam's Club. I guess I could do this ONLY if I have a GUARANTEE from someone that it will fix my problem. Well, I know you can't do this, but I guess I could use some feedback on this. I'm willing to spend the $80 if it will fix this problem, but not willing to spend major bucks for a new computer. Can I have some feedback on upgrading to SE? Is it easy to do? Will it solve any other issues I may have with my computer (like when it shuts down sometimes I get these weird color bars across the whole screen, and then it shuts down ok)? Will I have to do any backups of addresses and stuff, or will it just update on top of the original OS? Is it really worth it, in the long run, to upgrade? I don't want to upgrade to XP. Not even sure if this machine can handle that one, being a COMPAQ, and all. :rolleyes:

Thanks, everyone, for hanging with me.

15. 2002/09/02
    Rancher

Rancher Inactive

Compaq

Panda this compaq ya got, a pent 300 w/128ram or better? If not don't try winxp if it is DO go with winXP. Guarantee! Are you drunk ;) No such thing from planet earth. We can recommend solutions but the final say is YOURS. PM me maybe I can save ya $80 for my former Alaskan friend :D

16. 2002/09/02

AMD, 400 mhz, 128 RAM. If you are thinking of sending me a copy of SE, DON'T! I would prefer to have my own disk on hand in case of...well...you know. ;) Appreciate much your help. :D

Drunk? Nahhhhh! I know what you mean. Just looking for a little sympathy and hand holding on this one. I'm over it now. :cool:

Thanks, ALASKA!

17. 2002/09/03
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Panda

I can not say ( and won't and shouldn't ) say for 100% sure but I firmly believe your problem with the printer IS NOT Win98 FE.

I have used Win98 FE, SE & ME. I found SE & ME to be NO BETTER than FE with the CUST Svc Pack installed ( which I believe you have done ).

I have a machine with an AMD K62/500 and 192meg RAM. And this one with a Duron 1.2mhz and 256 meg of RAM. Both are home built.

I have had 3 HP printers. All were both USB and Parallel capable. NONE OF THEM worked properly on USB. On either machine or OS.

USB was supposed to be faster. Which turned out to be not true

I can not say very much about XP as I only spent a few hours using it on my Son-in-Laws machine ( in Kansas City MO ). He also had an OEM machine which can make quite a difference due to all of the useless stuff that they load all with the OS. That thing spent more time online udating stuff than I did actually using it.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2002/09/03
  18. 2002/09/03

Billybob.

If you feel so strongly about that, then any idea what I can do? Unfortunately, the printer is only USB hookup. Unless there's a converter I can use for it. Should I uninstall and reinstall the USB again? Should I maybe just go out and BUY a new USB? Or should I just try to sell this printer and look for something else? GRRRRRRRR! :mad: All I want to do is be able to print without garbage. Sighhhhhhhhhhh.....

Thanks for jumping in....now...watch me JUMP OFF THE CLIFF!!! :(

19. 2002/09/03
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

Or should I just try to sell this printer and look for something else?

That would be my next thing to try.

I know there is a converter but I think it only adapts from USB to parallel which would do you no good of course. But which ever way it was, that did not work well for me either.

GRRRRRRRR! All I want to do is be able to print without garbage. Sighhhhhhhhhhh.....

I read You LOUD & clear Dear. AND 100% agree

Hey Mr. ( or Mrs. ) printer. Just PRINT and don't give me no damned hassle about it.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2002/09/03
  20. 2002/09/11
    David Ries

David Ries Inactive

You downloaded the DIRECT X latest version awhile ago.
    Was that when the problem surfaced?
    IF there is a link there timing-wise to your problem, then perhaps the DirectX version was not a good download or good install and needs to be redone. Or better yet, return to the previous DirectX version and see if that clears up the trouble.

See, it's helpful if you can remember what you last did before the problem cropped up. Was a program installed? Deleted?
    Was there a virus found that took out some unknown files?

In regards to the font issue, TWEAK UI has a nice feature that helps the Font folder re-initialize itself to its "special folder" status. A lot of people aren't aware that the Font folder is not a regular folder that just holds fonts. So if there is any problem with printing and fonts, it never hurts to run that fix just in case.

21. 2002/09/11

Good point, David. My only problem with that will be the fact that I did so many things and I can't remember. What you might not know is, I had an issue with another model and after much research and tweaking I ended up doing a full restore which didn't solve that problem. Lexmark ended up sending me a different model, the X83, and then I finally had a working driver. It wasn't until a few days later that I started seeing the printing problem. In the mean time, I had already upgraded the DirectX after the full restore, so, several weeks had gone by before I put the X83 on the computer. Therefore, I think it would be too hard to figure out if it really is that, or not. My poor brain is so boggled from all the tweaks and fixes I have tried. I do hear that DirectX can cause problems and there is a good chance it could be that. Right now I am away from my home due to a family emergency and won't be back for another week. I will be checking out this link again when I get home and will try some more stuff. There was just too much going on at the time. There really isn't a font issue. At least, I don't think it is. My fonts print fine. Size and color. It's just the color bar and black line garbage that I am trying to resolve. No new programs were installed. Just my new cable modem hookup, but I'm sure the problem was there before that was done. No problem with virus's. I haven't redownloaded TWEAK UI yet. Do I really need it?

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.