1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

power supply upgrade

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jongru, 2002/01/11.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/11
    jongru

jongru Inactive Thread Starter

Can anyone advise me as to how to upgrade my 200watt power supply for a compaq presario 7940. I believe it is configured as an ATX 4 ***** type made in China. Please advise, I want to add some peripherals without blowing it out. I am thinking of at least a 350 watt replacement. Also advise where I would go to buy it if I am able.....thanks.....

2. 2002/01/11
    Dusted1

Dusted1 Inactive

Have had good success dealing with these people for power supplies. hppt://directron.com/

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/11
    Dusted1

Dusted1 Inactive

5. 2002/01/11
    jongru

Thanks Dusted1, I appreciate the lead on supplier. Looks great on the web. What I am looking for first though, is the Antec, Enermax, etc. compatible with my presario 7940. How do I know if the right voltages are on the right pin connections that my Compaq needs. How do I know if the configurations of the case on the power supply will fit my Compaq? I have tried to get this info from Compaq, but can't seem to find it. Thanks for your help.....

6. 2002/01/12
    Dusted1

Dusted1 Inactive

Your Computer case should accept the ATX style power supply. They show a picture of the different power supplies that they have and if it looks like yours, you should be OK. Some case's take a special type of power supply and then you would have to have that style of power supply to make it work. You should be able to upgrade to a larger power supply (electrical) with out any problems. They also have a very good support site at Directron that will help you out with selecting a power supply for your computer. You can also just type in "power supply" in your web browser and you will find many more sites that sell power supplies. Hope this helps you.

7. 2002/01/12
    shawbob

shawbob Inactive

Compaqs can be difficult to find non-compaq replacement parts for. I would check with whoever you buy it from to see if they list compaq specifically, and also if you can return it if it does not fit.

8. 2002/01/12
    jongru

Thanks Dusted1 and ShawBob,

That I will do. I have a local company that told me to bring my computer in and they will analyze the needs. I was hoping I could find a compaq user of the same machine that did in fact upgrade using a 'street' type power supply rather than paying the piper at compaq. They are always twice the price as anyone else. Almost as bad as free printers from HP( Why not, they make their fortunes on the ink!!!!)....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.