1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Possible fake Chrome update webpage replaces current webpage

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by AML300, 2017/05/12.

1. 2017/05/12
    AML300

AML300 Member Thread Starter

Computer Experience:
    Intermediate
    In Chrome, I'm getting from time to time (about every 2-3 days) a webpage replaces the current webpage I'm using & says "an important update" is available. I believe the URL changes each time. It has a big Chrome logo taking up most of the page. Contacted Chrome Help (email). They didn't have much to say when I notified them & asked if this was a valid update notice, possibly Chrome 58. The help tech only said do not access it. I have not accessed any of these before or after contacting Chrome.

Here's the last URL (today, 5//12/17):

Also, slow performance by laptop, at times, & rebooted itself for no reason yesterday or day before.

Thinking possibly virus or malware, I ran full scans of Windows Protector & Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 days ago indicating no threats. If most likely virus/malware, then I need a process to identify & "kill" it.

Any assistance, much thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: 2017/05/13
  2. 2017/05/13
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Experienced
    I removed the URL.... I googled chahkorbea.com and didn't get any hits... It all looks suspicious to me.

I would scan your computer with malwarebytes.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/13
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Computer Experience:
    Usually not enough