1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Plugged in, Not Charging...Battery or AC Adapter issue?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MaxV, 2017/05/06.

1. 2017/05/06
    MaxV

MaxV New Member Thread Starter

I recently had to replace the original Ac adapter for my Dell Inspiron N4010 laptop. The new charger has been working fine for several weeks now. About two days ago there was a massive power outage. I had to work on my laptop until battery level was critical and then it shut down. The power came back about a day later, and when I plugged in, the A/C adapter worked and the laptop turned on. However, the battery didn't charge at first. I wasn't sure what the issue was. The charger has the LED on/off indicator light on. Then I changed the multiplug I was using and the battery began charging again. The battery charged to full. Now it's at 98%. But the computer says it's "plugged in not charging." When I turned off the power from the wall socket and turn it back on, the battery charging indicator light turns on, and then turns off again. I'm not sure what the issue is. I ran a battery health diagnosis on cmd, and it says battery capacity is less than 50% (the battery is only about a year old):

Battery ID 26778SDIDell
    Design Capacity 4400
    Last Full Charge 1974
    Last Full Charge (%) 44

So what's the issue here: battery, charger, or perhaps the wall outlet? Because when I change the wall sockets, the battery seems to start charging again. Then after a while (I don't know how long), the charging stops. So I have to keep changing the wall sockets to keep the battery charging. Right now it's charged to full and the laptop works without an issue plugged in. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

MaxV,
  2. 2017/05/06
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You should "calibrate" the notebook's charging system. Check your notebook manual for the correct procedures. Typically, you do it just you were forced to do it before. You unplug the charger and let the notebook fully discharge until it shuts down automatically. Then you plug it in and let it fully charge. You may have to do this a couple times.

A couple more things. Some notebooks will not start charging until the battery level drops to some threshold. 98% may not be low enough to start the charging process.

Is the replacement charger an exact replacement? How old is the battery?

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/05/06
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Did you try using Dell's diagnostics. If not try it. If the battery is failing. Dell like HP diagnostics will give you a failure code.

lj50,
  5. 2017/05/08
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If the LED light on the power supply turns OFF then the power supply is bad. It should stay ON all the time even if the battery is at 100% or not charging. The circuitry that turns charging ON and OFF is inside the laptop and it won't turn OFF the charger LED.

6. 2017/05/08
    MaxV

The replacement charger is not exact. I couldn't find and exact so the IT people gave me a universal adapter called Ezcool. My laptop didn't have the threshold thing before. It is possible the adapter is damaged? It fell on the floor once, hard, and the problems started after that. There was also the power outage so I don't know, could the wall power supply be damaged?

MaxV,
  7. 2017/05/08
    MaxV

How do I know if the power supply is bad? Could it be the adapter or an issue with the wall outlet? Is it possible to know if the adapter is damaged from home? I still have a warranty on it so I can return it for a new one.

MaxV,
  8. 2017/05/08
    Bill

Well, I have a universal charger I use for trouble calls that automatically sets the correct voltage. I just need to make sure I select the correct connector tip to ensure proper connection and most importantly, polarity. I've had no problems with it. So as long as your replacement outputs the correct voltage and the connector tip applies the correct polarity, you should be fine too.

But dropping any power supply on a hard floor is never good. So yes, it could have been damaged - especially if you noticed problems after it fell. The actual supply could have been damaged and/or, if the cable was yanked during the fall, damage to the power connector in the notebook could have been damaged.

Why did you have to replace the original charger?
    Are you talking about two different things here? On notebooks, the terms charger, power adapter, power supply, power block (and probably a few others) all refer to the same device.

Bill,
  9. 2017/05/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you switch off the wall outlet before pulling the plug out? If power is still on when the plug is pulled - arcing may cause severe connection problems over time.
    I would say YES! :oops: It would definitely pay to have the unit checked and tested.
    As Bill stated .....

10. 2017/05/09
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Here's how you know:
    Plug it into a different wall outlet. Does the LED light come ON and stay ON?
    If the LED stays ON, use a voltage meter and test the voltage at the end that connects to a laptop.
    Oh, and if the light does not stay ON the the unit is damaged.
    Simple.

11. 2017/05/10
    MaxV

I had to replace the original charger because there was a lightning storm once and the power went out (there's surge protection). When the power came back on, the charger didn't work. My laptop model is a bit old so the shops where I am didn't have the exact same so I had to get a generic one that matched the voltage and the connecting port.

12. 2017/05/10
    MaxV

The LED light on the charger stays on at all times, it's doesn't blink or turn off. Also, the laptop is powered. It's the battery, it doesn't charge. It's over 95 percent now. I'm supposed to calibrate the battery but I don't want to because I'm afraid the laptop won't turn on. (I need this for work.) I guess I'll have to take this to a repair shop.

13. 2017/05/10
    MaxV

I don't unplug without turning off the wall switch first. It usually stays plugged in pretty much all the time and I turn off the wall switch when I shut the computer down. I guess I'll have to take it to a repair shop. Hope it's the charger and not the laptop ><

14. 2017/05/10
    Bill

Surge protection is better than nothing but no guarantee an excessively large surge or spike won't make it through the protector. And sadly, once through it can cause cascading damage.

I note too surge and spike protectors actually weaken and wear out over time and need to be regularly replaced. This is another reason I recommend a good UPS with AVR. The AVR can compensate for such aging.

15. 2017/05/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi MaxV, you will need to eliminate the charger (suspect) by testing it on another laptop of known status. If it works consistently OK on a known good laptop - then it's safe to say the charger was undamaged during the drop.
    If your laptop was connected during your power outage - there maybe damage to the circuits inside.