1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Permanently delete chrome autofill option?

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by Mel, 2014/03/14.

1. 2014/03/14
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

anyone know a way that will work? ive tried hovering and pressing delete, going into settings and deleting all autofill data, ive tried shift+delete while hovering as well as alt+shift+delete as ive read on several other sites. they work, but theyre not permanent. how can i actually remove old/unused enteries?

Mel,
  2. 2014/03/14
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Last edited: 2014/03/14

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/03/14
    Mel

Mel Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hmm, ive already tried that too. Not directly deleting cookies, but everything it says I have done already, and theyre still there... does it have anything to do with being signed into a google account and using chrome? maybe my account rather than the browser itself is remembering things?

Mel,
  5. 2014/03/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

You tried everything including this:

Tip

Use Chrome's incognito mode to avoid adding potentially embarrassing URLs to your browsing history. This feature enables you to surf the Web as you please while leaving no evidence of your activity on your normal Chrome browsing history. In addition, all cookies created during the incognito session are deleted once you close the browser window. Press "Ctrl-Shift-N" to launch a new incognito mode session.

References

Google: Autocomplete
    Chrome: Incognito Mode

Neil.

6. 2014/03/16
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

When signed in to your account, your search settings are restored. The account remembers the auto-fill settings.

I hate Google auto-fill, search suggestions & auto-complete. I have google as my home page and use this url to disable automatic search results:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=0

7. 2014/03/16
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Use Firefox, Mel. ;)

I hate it too, but it comes in handy, sometimes, for specialized searches. I mainly use Start Page for the bulk of my searches, and it does not use the auto-fill feature either.

8. 2014/04/28
    muruga

muruga Well-Known Member

There are two sorts of autofil: one for searches one for forms.
    Both are useful. If you refer to searches then Google collects your searches and creates an algorithm based on it - works well for me.

I find autofil quite useful when filling out forms with with addresses. But you can totally stop autofil or edit it. here's how - click on the 3 bars in upper r corner - > settings> show advanced> passwords & forms
    you can edit or stop it altogether by unchecking the box "enable autofil "