1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[PC-cillin 2003 firewall]

Discussion in 'Security and Privacy' started by abx, 2003/07/14.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/07/14
    abx

abx Inactive Thread Starter

I downloaded PC-cillin 2003 to my computer and PC-cillin 2003 installed not only anti-virus software but it also installed a firewall. I don't understand this. Can anyone briefly tell me what a firewall is? What is the advantage of having a firewall? What is the disadvantage of having a firewall? Thank you very much for your response.

abx,
  2. 2003/07/14
    charlesvar

charlesvar Inactive Alumni

Last edited: 2003/07/14

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/07/14
    BillyBob Lifetime Subscription

BillyBob Inactive

The purpose of a firewall is two fold.

1--Most Firewalls now are set by default to block both in and out until the user grants permission to it. And it should ask which you want.

2--With a Firewall you as the user can also control what goes out of your machine.

If the Firewall is working correctly it will let you know ( on screen )when someone is try to get in.

It will also let you know ( on screen ) when something is trying to connect to the Internet.

If you want better protection from incoming attempts just put a Router between you machine and the Modem.

If by chance you are using Windows XP. The builtin firewall only blocks incoming stuff.

Your PC-cillinc should work both ways.

BillyBob

Last edited: 2003/07/14
  5. 2003/07/14
    Newt

Newt Inactive

you'll get Steve Gibson's take on the usefulness of Firewalls

He is one smart fella but last time I read any of his stuff, he seemed very biased toward Zone Alarm. It's a great app but if you read Gibson you might get the idea it's the only good one and that just ain't so.

Newt,
  6. 2003/07/15
    charlesvar

Hi Newt,

"but last time I read any of his stuff, he seemed very biased toward Zone Alarm. "

Not lately.

He does however rant on about BlackIce and how bad it is.

Regards - Charles

7. 2003/07/19
    FireDancer Lifetime Subscription

FireDancer Inactive

FireWall Comparison

Abx,

Hi there .... thought I might post this for you as I am a beginner and am learning alot rapidly about security and its function this site might help you to understand and give you a little insight as to what is good and bad

http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/firewall/

In the artical they have tested and rated 5 differant
    firewalls

Internet Firewall 2000
    BlackIce
    McAfee Personal Firewall
    ZoneAlarm
    Sygate

im sure there are many more out there and even some better then what I have posted here.

Just my 2cents

Regards,

FireDancer ;)

8. 2003/07/22
    shadowhawk

shadowhawk Inactive

Kerio Personal Firewall is my fave. It blocks access and keeps my ports locked, and best of all it doesn't take over my machine and drain its resources.

9. 2003/07/22
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Firedancer, I looked at that link and saw what I suspect I would see. The first three in your list weren't rated very well. I know it's not your fault [copy and paste?], but the order can imply something better to other people. Just clearing something up here.
    Sygate can get real complicated fast to new users, especially when set to monitor Dynamic Link Libraries [Dll files] accessing the internet, but works very well.
    ZoneAlarm is the easiest for new users, no worries what TCP, UDP, ICMP, DNS, and IGMP are. Works good.
    I use Kerio Personal firewall. It should have been included, it passes the port scanners and blocks Gibson's LeakTest program. Works great, and I agree with shadowhawk concerning resources. When running, there is only the executable in memory.
    BlackIce doesn't stop outbound at all, any trojan, virus, adware, spyware app can get out freely. What can get out can definitely bring something in.
    I have had no experience with the Internet Firewall, but the odd thing here is that Kerio, ZA and Kerio can be downloaded for free. They are much better than BlackIce and IF, and they charge for those, no free license versions I am aware of.
    All in all, there are free apps [AVG, Spybot, others] that are much better than what you pay for available on the net. Looks like a trend.

10. 2003/07/23

BillyBob Inactive

One thing about Kerio is the fact that is ( or very close to ) a standalone program. Other wahtis necessary to run Kerio it DOES NOT invade the system the way at least Norton and KcAfee do .

I have not idea about other Firewalls other than the ones I mentioned.

I did have ZA a long time ago but prefered NIS to it. But now Kerio has done stolen my heart. :)

But for the better protection it is stiil good to have a Router also. It takes a lot of load off of the Software Firewall.

BillyBob

11. 2003/07/23
    miniB

miniB Inactive

Hi BillyBob

Just noted you are using Kerio ( I have just read about this firewall )

I know you were a long standing Norton but see Kerio has your heart now.

I was going to go for Sygate until I found an article about Kerio. Just need a little re-assurance that your change is very definitely for the better ;)

I am also looking at NOD32 for AV. both of which seem a lot less resource hungry !

Thank you in advance for your advice.

miniB

Last edited: 2003/07/23
  12. 2003/07/23
    neil

neil Inactive

firewall

I have been reading a lot of good things about Kerio firewall, and how it doesn't use many resources. I've been itching to try it, but get the impression it requires a lot of manual setting up. Something I'm sure I would have trouble with. Right now I'm using ZA and assume it's doing whatever it is it's supposed to do.

Thanks for any advice.
    neil

13. 2003/07/23
    James Martin

James Martin Geek Member

Hello,
    What exactly is a router?

J. M.

14. 2003/07/23
    charlesvar

Last edited: 2003/07/23
  15. 2003/07/23

BillyBob Inactive

All I can say is that I have had no problems.

BillyBob

16. 2003/07/24
    miniB

miniB Inactive

Hi

Apologies for just getting back now ( e-mail link didn't arrive ! )

Charlesvar - Thank you for the link to the forum - I will check this out for sure.
    I have studied NOD32 documents & all seems promising.
    I submitted a pre-sales question & was very impressed that I actually received a fast personal reply ( cannot say that about Symantec's reply )

I will find the forum useful as I am trying to discover if the program runs with Incredimail as I am using this as a mail client just now.

Thanks BillyBob that's as much re-assurance that anyone can give on a particular program as set ups can change things !!

Thanks to everyone - just need to spend some more time reading now ;) miniB

17. 2003/07/24

BillyBob Inactive

You are welcome.

And you are SSSOOOOOOOOO right about setups.

And more power to you for realizing it.

As to AV and Incredmail.

I have not found an AV program yet the will check it.

That is why I dumped it ( the mail prgoam that is )

I use Eudora myself.

BillyBob

18. 2003/07/24
    miniB

miniB Inactive

Hi BillyBob

Should I mention BUT NIS 2003 checks my IM for me. I checked this out when running a trial of IM.

I noted previous versions of Norton had to be configured for IM but double checked and 2003 vesion checks without special configuration. I still get the scan running on incoming & outgoing IM's.

I will be cautious and possibly download the trial of NOD to see if it does work with IM. I have also e-mailed IM themselves to ask if it is MAPI compatible. I hope so as I find the program good for fun type e-mails.
    I know Vcom AV works with it as I have a friend who uses this. My ISP also checks mail before it arrives with me but I would be bettter to be sure than sorry later.

Looks like I have more homework to do before my final decision ;)
    miniB

Thanks again for you input.

19. 2003/07/24

BillyBob Inactive

Again you are welcome.

And again You are doing some real fine work

You are not putting your full trust in what works for me. Which is the CORRECT thing to do.

Your machine is not mine. Or mine is not yours.

:) You call :)

You are doing some checkout work on your own.

Please keep up that good work.

Also I only had NAV 2000 when I checked out IM.

BillyBob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.