1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Page faults

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Bama, 2002/01/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/07
    Bama

Bama Guest Thread Starter

Help!!! I am trying to convert data into an upgraded program and while converting I am receiving an illegal operation. It is a page fault. Can I get around this by adjusting my virtural memory? I know a little about page faults but not enough go this alone. Thanks BAMA

Bama,
  2. 2002/01/07
    DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Inactive

Welcome to WindowsBBS!

What's the exact text of the error message?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/07
    Bama

Page fault error reply

The error reads:
    Invalid page fault in module PEACH.EXE at 0167:
    043fb4d0

This is followed by severl sets of numbers. Do you need them. I have them written down.

Bama,
  5. 2002/01/07
    DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Inactive

Since this apparently involves an application rather than Windows, this thread has been relocated to the Applications forum.

I'm having a bear of a time locating PEACH.EXE on the web. Do you know what program is using that EXE file?

6. 2002/01/07
    Bama

The program using Peachtree.exe is the Peachtree Accounting for Windows. Version 9.0

Bama,
  7. 2002/01/07
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Hiya

Have you tried uninstalling then reinstalling the software? Sometimes, files can become corrupt.

Also, what is your OS? Plus, it may be due to background programs running. Lets have a look at them.

Go to Run and type MSINFO32. If you get an error, Programs | accessories | System Tools | System Information.

On the left choose Software Enviroment, then Startup Programs. Copy/paste the list. If you cannot, Action | Save as Text File and copy/paste that way.

Regards

eddie

8. 2002/01/07
    Bama

Here ya go...
    I have installed this software on two different machines. I did reenstall it on the first machine before going to another one. This error comes up on the same file when converting. The file is a journal file and quite large. The os is Windows98SE. Any help is greatly appreciated.

PowerReg SchedulerV2 Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg SchedulerV2.exe
    run Win.ini hpfsched
    H/PC Connection Agent Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT ACTIVESYNC\WCESCOMM.EXE "
    TWC App Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\THE WEATHER CHANNEL\THE WEATHER CHANNEL.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    EM_EXEC Registry (Machine Run) c:\logitech\mouse\system\em_exec.exe
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    MHInit Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\CyberMedia UnInstaller\mhinit.exe
    WheelMouse Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Dual Wheel Mouse\4DMAIN.EXE -startup
    Detect Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\iNTERNET Turbo 2001\idetect.exe /auto
    HPHA2MON Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpha2mon.exe
    ConMgr.exe Registry (Machine Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\EARTHLINK 5.0\CONMGR.EXE "
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE
    HP Lamp Registry (Machine Run) C:\SCANJET\PrecisionScanPro\HPLamp.exe
    Iomega Startup Options Registry (Machine Run) D:\Program Files\Iomega\Common\ImgStart.exe
    Iomega Drive Icons Registry (Machine Run) D:\Program Files\Iomega\DriveIcons\ImgIcon.exe
    DPCProxyLoadOnStartup Registry (Machine Service)
    Detect Registry (Machine Service) C:\Program Files\iNTERNET Turbo 2001\idetect.exe /auto
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe
    Vshwin32EXE Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRAM FILES\NETWORK ASSOCIATES\MCAFEE VIRUSSCAN\VSHWIN32.EXE

Bama,
  9. 2002/01/07
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Okay

First off, lets clean that out.

PowerReg SchedulerV2: Displays reminders to register software. Not required

run Win.ini hpfsched: okay

H/PC Connection Agent: Active sync for use with Windows CE based palm PC

TWC App: The weather channel???

ScanRegistry: keep

SystemTray: keep

EM_EXEC: Logitech Mouseware driver. Needed to support some additional functionality of Logitech mice/trackballs

StillImageMonitor: If your scanner does not have a button to initiate scanning you kill stimon. Even if it does have a button, you can still manually launch the scanning application. If unavailable via Start -> Programs

MHInit: Part of the Cybermedia Clean Sweep package. Not needed

WheelMouse: Mouse software for "Fellowes" Wheelman mouse. Has caused some users problems but shouldn't be needed if you don't use any enhanced features it may provide. For instance, I have a wheel-based mouse that works fine with default drivers

Detect Registry: ???

HPHA2MON: Media card reader for some HP series printers allowing them to read digital camera memory cards directly. Only needed if you use this feature and known to cause system crashes in some cases. That is about HPHA1MON. I assume its the same.

ConMgr.exe: Starts WinFax Pro at startup. Required for Winfax to answer incoming faxes. You decide

LoadPowerProfile: Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. Keep

Vshwin32EXE: From McAfee VirusScan up to version 4.x. Communicates between VSSTAT.EXE and the VShield System Scan module. Can be started automatically or available via Start -> Programs. Personally, I disable "System Scan" via the Vshield icon leaving only "E-mail ", "Download" and "Internet filter" enabled. System Scan checks for on Run, Copy, Create and Rename which slows things dramatically

HP Lamp: HP Scanner Utility that controls your scanner’s light bulb. Needed if it's switched on. If unavailable via Start -> Programs

Iomega Startup Options: Used by Iomega drives. Available via Start -> Programs - not required

Iomega Drive Icons: Used by Iomega drives. Available via Start -> Programs - not required

DPCProxyLoadOnStartup: ???

SchedulingAgent: Microsoft Scheduling Agent displayed as a box with a stopwatch in the System Tray that is only needed if you have regular scheduled disk defragmenting, ScanDisk, etc. I'd recommend you run these at regular intervals manually as they can interrupt other programs

Okay, for the ones that you don't want, go to Run and type MSCONFIG. Startup tab. Uncheck the ones you don't want, apply and restart. If you're unsure, do each sepaerately, but apply and restart after each one.

Whilst you do that, I'll have a dig around.

Regards

eddie

10. 2002/01/07
    Bama

page fault

Eddie,
    Disregard that last post. That is the wrong startup. I have to get the one from the machine I am having trouble with.(to many machines going at once).

Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe "
    load Win.ini ptsnoop.exe
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    CountrySelection Registry (Machine Run) pctptt.exe
    RealTray Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\RealPlay.exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe

Bama,
  11. 2002/01/07
    Bama

also thanks Eddie

Also thanks for helping clean up this machine. It was a mess and will run so much better now. Sorry about the wrong startup but really appreciate the cleanup also. BAMA

12. 2002/01/07
    Bama

also thanks Eddie

Also thanks for helping clean up this machine. It was a mess and will run so much better now. Sorry about the wrong startup but really appreciate the cleanup also. BAMA

13. 2002/01/09
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Hiya

Thats okay. This one looks neater:

Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders: Produces a pop-up reminder of events scheduled using the MS Works Calendar. Not required

load Win.ini ptsnoop.exe: Two descriptions I've come across - both valid as far as I can see :-
    (1) Program installed with some modems that monitors the COM ports for the modem driver. Not needed from what I've read - may need a registry edit to get rid of it
    (2) Backdoor trojan virus that copies itself as PTSNOOP.EXE

To doublecheck the latter, go here and run a scan:

http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

ScanRegistry: keep

TaskMonitor: The Task Monitor the disk-access patterns of programs when they are started and stores this information in log files in the Applog folder. Task Monitor also records the number of times you use a program. The Disk Defragmenter tool uses this information to optimize your hard disk so that programs that you use frequently are loaded faster. Not required - but can be useful

SystemTray: keep

LoadPowerProfile: Power management specifics such as monitor shut-off, system standby, etc. keep

CountrySelection: Country selection for a PCtel HSP56 based modem. Often found in OEM (Dell,Compaq, HP, etc) systems for their modems included on the motherboard or as a seperate card. Once you've set the modem up to the chosen country it's not required

RealTray: System Tray icon for RealPlayer. Not required. If you subsequently start RealPlayer manually it adds itself back to the start-up list. You can stop this from happening by right-clicking on the tray icon and disabling SmartCenter via Preferences

SchedulingAgent: Microsoft Scheduling Agent displayed as a box with a stopwatch in the System Tray that is only needed if you have regular scheduled disk defragmenting, ScanDisk, etc. I'd recommend you run these at regular intervals manually as they can interrupt other programs

Now, you know what to do here.

What I would alo recommend is going here and downloading AddAware www.lavasoftusa.org
    Install and run it, ensuring that Deep registry Scan is enabled. Remove all except any references to Web3000 or new.net. if you're unsure, copy/paste the list here.

Whilst you're there, download RefUpdate and install and run it to get the latest updates.

Regards

eddie

14. 2002/01/09
    dreamboat

dreamboat Guest Thread Starter

Great. Now clean up that hard drive.

Bama, check out my instructions at http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

If you read the first part, you'll find that a *dirty* hard drive can cause IPFs, GPFs, etc., and I recommend this be the very first thing you do whenever you get such problems. Some of the stuff can wait, but definitely delete the temps (IE temps not required) and run the scandisk AFTER that.

Best of luck, would like to know how it goes.

15. 2002/01/10
    Bama

Page faults gone

Well guys I can't thank you enough for your help. It was a bad place in the hardrive and started multiplying. Thank goodness for backups. Took them to another machine with a clean load of Peachtree and they flew just fine. Also again I appreciate the help in cleaning up my startup and the hardrive cleanup information. I am now going to cleanup this hardrive. I have gotten rid of the temps but need to clean out some more stuff. As for the corrupt hardrive it is going in the garbage. Was an old one anyway. Until next time:
    Keep doin what you're doin cause people like me sure do apprecite it.. BAMA

16. 2002/01/11
    eddie5659

eddie5659 Inactive

Hiya

Glad its working again

See Ya

eddie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.