1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook will receive but not send

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by MrBill, 2006/01/21.

1. 2006/01/21
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member Thread Starter

Windows XP Home, Outlook 2002, AVG, ZA and Sprint DSL.
    Dell Inspiron 1200, 768mb of RAM and 70% Free space on the HD.

I can send and receive from this account in OE but not Outlook. I can receive but not send in Outlook. Exported the user settings from OE and even deleted them and started again.
    Here is the error I get when I send an e-mail which looks like it does send as the AVG scan window pops up.
    This is the AVG E-mail Scanner program.
    I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
    below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.

---------------------------------------------------
    Receive: : The operation completed successfully. (0)
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Your e-mail message is being returned to you in the next part of this message. Try to send the message again.
    Should you need assistance, please contact your administrator or your ISP.

I have checked in settings and the Incoming server (POP3): is 110 and the Outgoing server (SMTP): is 25.
    They are this way in Outlook and AVG both. The name is spelled right in the Server information. pop.earthlink.net and smtpauth.earthlink.net.
    I have the same setup on a desktop but am using Outlook 2K on it and it works fine.
    I have removed AVG and reinstalled it and done the same with MS Office 2002 on the laptop.
    Thanks for any help you can give me on this. I know that the wife will really be happy.

2. 2006/01/22
    Daryl

Daryl Guest

I see the smtp server is named "smtpauth..... ". This implies that the smtp server needs authentication to send. When you go into your email account properties and click "More Settings ", there is a tab named "Outgoing server ". On that tab, there is a checkbox labelled, "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication ". Have a look in your OE settings to see if that option needs to be selected.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/01/22
    MrBill

I have clicked and changed every setting that I could do. By them selves and in combination with others. Nothing works...

5. 2006/01/28
    MrBill

Got it fixed. Got away from it for a day or 2 and came back with a fresh start. Thanks to Google once again, I found this on a MS Page... CLICK Thanks for helping...:)