1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook Express sends messages but leaves them in Outbox

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by balticex, 2007/07/21.

1. 2007/07/21
    balticex

balticex Inactive Thread Starter

I use Outlook Express 6 with XP SP2. Suddenly, Outlook Express has started to leave messages with attachments in my Outbox after they have been sent. This means that when I send further messages multiple copies of the stuck message are sent. Now it's started doing that for all messages, whether or not there is an attachment.

The only change I've made recenetly is to buy the full version of AVG 7.5 Internet Security. Disabling this program doesn't solve the problem.

I can find this question in an earlier post on the forum but no answer seems to have been given.

2. 2007/07/21
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

balticex - Welcome to the Board :)

My guess is that your Outbox is corrupted - if that is the case the remedy is straightforward ....

Search your drive for Outbox.dbx (include Hidden Files and Folders in your search) and, with OE closed, delete it. It will be recreated when you next open OE.

If that does not solve your problem work through An Outlook Express Basic Repair Kit with particular reference to reregistering OE and it's .dlls.

When you send these emails that get stuck in the Outbox does a copy get placed in Sent Items?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2007/07/21
    balticex

Thanks Pete.

I'll try that.

But just to respond quickly: No, the stuck messages do not get moved to the Sent box.

5. 2007/07/21
    balticex

Thanks for your welcome Pete. I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the board.

Unfortunately the first step of deleting outbox.dbx has not worked so I'll try the repair route.

The odd thing is that this started a couple of days ago but only when I was sending attachments. Now it's all email messages. And the error message simply says Review the list below - but that, helpfully, is blank!

6. 2007/07/22
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Any news?

7. 2007/07/22
    balticex

Thanks for the follow up. Not so far, but I will be trying the serious repair tomorrow when I hope to have some time.

8. 2007/07/25
    balticex

Thanks Pete, I can now report some very substantial success.

The full repair process by Tom Koch to which you guided me was needed. Some of the terminology was slightly different, perhaps because of the version of Outlook Express, but easy enough to follow. I was alarmed when re-registering library files to find one did not exist and a second produced an error.

So I moved on and created a new identity. That has solved the problem of messages sticking in the Outbox and not moving to the Sent box. Wonderful! Thank you.

One odd thing is now happening. I receive four copies of each incoming message. I'm sure I'll be able to sort that out soon - it may be something to do with having several email addresses for different purposes.

I am most grateful to you for your help. I will now downgrade my rating from Intermediate to novice!

9. 2007/07/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Pretty much par for the course - one file no longer exists on recent XP builds - msjava.dll following Sun's action against MS and the other - entry point not found? again is common.
    You're welcome :) - don't do yourself down - we are all learning all the time

10. 2007/07/26
    balticex

Oh dear, it's happening again.

All seemed to work well for a day then it's off again. This time I get this error message:

An unknown error has occurred. Subject '', Account: 'James Buckley Primary', Server: 'smtp.sky.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Temporary local problem - please try later', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A

Some times the error message says SPAM 550.

11. 2007/07/26
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

balticex - your cover is blown :)

I feel sure that I am addressing one Jim Buckley of RPS DIGIT fame :D

Jim - not too sure what is going on here - do the emails get to the recipient despite being stuck in the Outbox?
    brings up very few hits on Google, mostly unanswered queries and only the merest hint of a solution.

This is harmless, but may resolve the problem ...

Start > Run > type cmd > OK

A command window will appear.

At the flashing cursor type cd\ . Enter to take you to the root drive C:\

Type ipconfig /flushdns > Enter

You should receive confirmation that the DNS Resolver Cache has been cleared.

Try sending an email.

The question of SPAM 550 should be taken up with Sky

When you setup your new identity and email account did you check - in OE under Accounts - highlight the account > Properties > Servers - 'My server requires authentication'?

12. 2007/07/26
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

How large are the attachments?

If they are over 1meg, you should check with your ISP to see what their size limit is.

13. 2007/07/26
    balticex

Thanks Steve. The attachments vary in size but when Outlook Express is working properly I have no difficulty with 8 MB attachments.

OK Peter! I surrender - you're right on target with your identification.

I'm now beginning to think that several things are going on at once here, and in part my ISP is proving less than reliable. And my incompetence is compounding it.

Having deleted the new accounts the system is working again, though I do seem to get two copies of most, but not all, emails. Rebooting the computer also seems to solve the problem.

Mostly the emails, although remaining in the Outbox, do seem to get through. And web mail seems to work fine, though it's so clunky I can't bear to use it.

I did tick My server requires authentication.

I'll try your cache clearing solution and report back.

Thanks again for your help.

14. 2007/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Always a problem when your ISP may be involved too - I have heard of problems with Sky from friends, but have not been involved.
    In OE - Tools > Accounts - highlight Acount > Properties > Advanced tab - Delivery.....

Is the 'Leave a copy of messages on the Server' unchecked? If it is not checked the duplex delivery may be down to Sky.

15. 2007/07/27
    balticex

Thanks Pete. You suggested:

In OE - Tools > Accounts - highlight Acount > Properties > Advanced tab - Delivery.....

Is the 'Leave a copy of messages on the Server' unchecked? If it is not checked the duplex delivery may be down to Sky.

Yes, the Leave a copy is checked for all three of our accounts accounts.

I also ran the the routine to clear the DNS Resolver Cache and got the confirmation.

Sadly the problem remains. I think I'd better talk to Sky - firmly!

16. 2007/07/27
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Good luck :)

17. 2007/07/30
    balticex

Update on lack of progress!

Thanks for all the help.

I had several long conversations with SKY's help desk but to no avail. Having established that my webmail worked, more or less, they were not interested. For Outlook Express ask Microsoft was the response.

Ah well.

18. 2007/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

I guess Sky's reaction was par for the course - I cannot get TalkTalk to respond sensibly as to the reason why any email I send to an AOL address is returned as 'too old' after exactly (to the second) after 3 days - and they bought AOL (UK) recently. Such is life - so I use BT webmail to send to AOL.

So what is your precise situation now? - just receiving duplex messages or is it back to square one?

19. 2007/07/30
    balticex

Well I suppose it's good to know that they are all as bad as each other.:rolleyes:

Back to square one I fear. Receiving duplicate (mainly but sometimes more) copies of incoming mail; and sending (with or without attachments) from each of the five email addresses we have results in the message sticking in the Out box, and not being transferred to the Sent box.

I have therefore resorted to setting Outlook Express to send only on command, and when I get the error message (which says See Below but that's blank) I then move it from the Out Box to another folder (called, with great originality, Not in Sent Box!) At least that way recipients don't get several copies of the message.

20. 2007/07/30
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Which version of IE are you using 6 or 7? OE is integrated into both - or are you running Vista?

21. 2007/07/30
    balticex

It's Outlook Express 6 with Windows XP SP2.