1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

[Outlook Express - Missing folders after compressing files]

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Rob Allen, 2015/08/03.

1. 2015/08/03
    Rob Allen

Rob Allen Inactive Thread Starter

OE was trying to compress files and something happened, then the inbox and a couple of other folders went blank. Checked the file where they are stored and the emails are still there.
    I remember something similar happened a few years back and forgot how I resolved the issue.
    Copied the OE folder to another location and tried importing but that hasn't worked...didn't import to the same location, but went somewhere else, and had a difficult time finding them.
    Hopefully there is a simple fix.
    Thank you,
    Rob

2. 2015/08/04
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Prior to compressing, OE sends a copy of each file to the Recycle Bin. Look for files with the *.bak extension and when you find them, move them to a safe place. There should be one *.bak file for each *.dbx file in your storage location. Rename the *.dbx files to *.old. Copy the *.bak files to your storage location and rename them *.dbx.

I hope it works and if it does, get rid of the original *.bak files and the corrupted *.old files.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/05
    Rob Allen

Rob Allen Inactive Thread Starter

Outlook Express - Missing folders after compressing files

Thank you for the tip, however the files were not in the recycle bin, as it was empty. Possibly there is another way.
    Thanks again,
    Rob

5. 2015/09/01
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Rob mentioned via a PM: