1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

outlook express: How to reload my old mail inbox?

Discussion in 'Internet Explorer & Microsoft Edge' started by nihaojs, 2002/08/26.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/08/26
    nihaojs

nihaojs Inactive Thread Starter

Dear Expert,

Today when I open outlook express, I found my incoming email in my inbox was disappeared. When I looked into mail dir., I found there is new inbox, called inbox (1). My old inbox still there, but I can't open it. Could you please tell me how to reload my old inbox? This happened after I switch on Mcfee email scan. Now I switch off email scan function. It can't help. Is my email crushed?

I have tried to changed my old inbox into inbox (1), but it can't help.

My op is win xp. outlook express 6.0

Thanks!

2. 2002/08/26
    Miz

Miz Inactive Alumni

It looks like this could very well be a function of your McAfee antivirus since there is a patch for McAfee version 6.02 which deals with "Outlook Express inbox deletion issue" Here . It may be McAfee found (or thought it found) an infected file in your inbox and quarantined the whole thing.

You can try forcing OE to use your old Inbox by, first, turning off McAfee and closing Outlook Express, then deleting the new Inbox(1). Make sure the remaining Inbox file is named Inbox.dbx. Then open Outlook Express and see if the old inbox is back.

If you do get the old inbox back, you need to find the infected file, or files, and delete them or McAfee will probably do the same thing when you start it up again.

If this doesn't work, restore the deleted Inbox(1) from the Recycle Bin and hope somebody with more experience using McAfee comes along to help. :)

Miz,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/08/26
    Barbara-Ann

Barbara-Ann Inactive

You can also use DBXtract

OE has a proprietary binary format that makes archiving individual messages difficult. In addition, a number of people have indicated that their message folders have become corrupted and OE can not read them. Consequently, they have lost all the messages in that folder.

DBXtract.exe extracts all mail and news messages from individual dbx files. After extracting the messages one can drag them from a Windows Explorer folder into an Outlook Express mail folder.

The program runs in Win9x, WinMe, NT, Windows 2000, and WindowsXP.

(It is very important that OE is CLOSED when the program is running!!)

5. 2002/08/26
    Zander

Zander Geek Member Alumni

If none of the other suggestions works try moving the inbox.dbx out to a different location. Then close McAfee. Open Outlook Express and create a new folder named Inbox. Then close OE and move the old inbox.dbx back into the OE folder and allow it to overwrite the one you created. Then, open OE and see what happens. I would leave McAfee disabled or closed just in case it's the source of the problem.

6. 2002/08/27
    nihaojs

nihaojs Inactive Thread Starter

Problem solved by using DBXTract, Thanks for your help!!!!

DBXTract helps me to solve my problem!!! Now I got my mail back.

Thanks!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.