1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook Express: Deleted email location?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Canfield Fair, 2003/01/25.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2003/01/25
    Canfield Fair

Canfield Fair Inactive Thread Starter

Where do the deleted e-mail files go in Windos XP? How can you remove them permanently? What happened to the *.dbx files in XP?

2. 2003/01/25
    Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

I gues I don't understand your first question "Where do the deleted e-mail files go in Windows XP?" Are you asking where they go when you delete them from your In-Box, or where they go when you empty the Deleted Items folder?

As for your second question "What happened to the *.dbx files in XP?" You should be able to find these in;

"C:\Documents and Settings\ "My User Name "\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{E7C5AEB9-8AF3-4078-ABDE-1B7B1FC48CB8}\Microsoft\Outlook Express "

HTH

Last edited: 2003/01/25
    Rod,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2003/01/25
    Canfield Fair

Canfield Fair Inactive Thread Starter

Outlook Express

I should have been more clear on that first question. I wanted to know what happens to the e-mail when you empty the deleted items folder. Is it still stored somewhere on the hard drive or is it permanently wiped from the drive?

5. 2003/01/25
    Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

I would assume, as with all files, that though you may no longer see deleted messages on your system they still reside on your hard-drive until overwritten or permenantly deleted.

There are many programs available that to varying degrees will overwrite, or "wipe" deleted files from your disk. Some of these programs can be distructive so make sure that you read all appropriate help files before running them.

The following are a few links to these types of programs;

AnalogX SuperShredder

Clean Disk Security

PCForrest Window Utilities

You might also want to take a look at this thread it discusses this issue at greater length;

Erasing data from drive

HTH

Last edited: 2003/01/25
    Rod,
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.