1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook express/Bigpond, not receiving/sending emails

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by Sillsy, 2008/11/08.

1. 2008/11/08
    Sillsy

Sillsy Inactive Thread Starter

Just had my old computer die on me and the guy who tried to fix it ended up selling me a new computer, but he transferred all my old data on to the new computer. Now i am having trouble with outlook express, it won't receive or send emails and comes up with this message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm sure it is something really simple but I can't figure it out.

I have also lost all my contacts but I can get these up with an old outlook express, but can't seem to tranfer them across. Will I just have to retype them all in?

Thanks

Should note that it is Outlook Express 6 that I am now using.

Last edited: 2008/11/08
  2. 2008/11/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Have you tried creating a new account in OE for Bigpond? The settings required can generally be found on the ISP's web site.

Can you access web mail on Bigpond?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2008/11/08
    Sillsy

Hi PeteC,

When I try to access webmail via Mozilla, it won't let me connect to bigpond and mentions something about the certificate of the website not being trustworthy or something along those lines and doesn't want me to connect. I just tried using IE and it all of a sudden closed down, but I did access via IE earlier today.

I will try and set up a new account as you have suggested buy I really don't know what I'm doing and I just assumed that everything would work as OE has all my old emails that I had stored in seperate folders, it even has my sent emails. Not sure if it has anything to do with my other problem:

http://www.windowsbbs.com/general-security/78518-antivirus-program-should-i-use.html

Thanks

5. 2008/11/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

To setup a new account in OE go to Tools > Accounts > Add > MAil and follow the wizard through.

There is no way that you should be running 2 antivirus programs simultaneously - they will inevitably conflict.

6. 2008/11/08
    Sillsy

Thanks PeteC,

That is what I thought, I have just uninstalled the free trial that was installed by the computer guy and guess what? Surprisingly enough Outlook Express is now receiving emails once again.

Thanks for your help, case closed I think, although I shouldn't type too soon.

7. 2008/11/08
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff