1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Outlook 2007 Links Not Working

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by SueZee, 2009/11/16.

1. 2009/11/16
    SueZee

SueZee Inactive Thread Starter

I am using outlook 2007 for the first time because I just upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium from Vista and learned there is no longer Windows Mail.

When someone sends me a link, I can't click on it because I get a pop up that says: "This operation has been cancelled due to restricitons in effect on tihs computer. Please contact your system administrator." So, are these resistrictions an outlook issue or a Windows 7 issue?

How can I fix this so I can click on links in my email and have them open? I've also noticed it won't let me open word documents from the email either. Is this the same issue?

I would appreciate any help with these problems!

Last edited: 2009/11/16
  2. 2009/11/16
    Arie

Arie Administrator Administrator Staff

The most common cause for this error is a corrupt registry key in Internet Explorer.

To fix it, try resetting Web settings in Internet Explorer:

1. From the Internet Explorer menu, select Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab
    2. Click the Reset button

Also check if your email program is properly listed in IE:

1. From the Internet Explorer menu, select Tools > Internet Options
      [*]On the Programs tab, under Internet programs, click Set Programs, then Set your Default Programs, select your e-mail program and click Set this program as Default.
      [*]Click OK and close the dialogs

Arie,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2009/11/16
    SueZee

I just followed your instructions, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything. However, in resetting Explorer 8, I was asked about accelerators.

I saw it had Windows Live as one of my choices. I don't use that program so I removed that accelerator.

I then followed the help instructions on finding new accelerators. Outlook is not a choice. Gmail was so I did add that one since I also use gmail in outlook. Do you think this might be the problem at all?

I must add that making the changes I did to the accelerators has not changed anything that I can see in outlook. The links will still not open.

I also did the following in Outlook it's self and my links still will not open:

Stop disabling links and functionality in all messages
    On the Tools menu, click Options.
    On the Preferences tab, under E-mail, click Junk E-mail.
    Clear the Disable links and other functionality in phishing messages (recommended) check box.
    Note If you decide to select this check box later, Outlook will disable all the links in messages that were evaluated as suspicious by the Junk E-mail Filter, and you will receive warnings about suspicious links.

5. 2009/11/16
    Arie

Yes, get rid of it. you don't need no stinking accelerator!

Where are the messages that won't have their links open? In the Inbox or in the Junk E-mail folder?

Can you give me the Value data of the (Default) key in the following registry location: HKEY_Local_Machine \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ shell \ open \ command

Arie,
  6. 2009/11/16
    Arie

Are you using any anti-spam software? What about anti virus software?

Arie,
  7. 2009/11/16
    SueZee

I use F-Prot for Windows for my anti-virus software. No anti-spam software that I can remember.

8. 2009/11/16
    SueZee

It doesn't matter if they are in the Junk box or in the inbox. The Junk box tells me it will open if I move them to the inbox, but it lies.

I would be happy to give you the Value data of the (Default) key in the following registry location: HKEY_Local_Machine \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ shell \ open \ command, but I'm not sure if I know how. I've tried doing this, am I on the right track? I went to regedit and followed the links as you gave them to me. When I got as far as "htmlfile" there was no such link, it is just "html" however under that I can see this:
    Default - htmlfile
    Content type -text/html
    Perceived type - text
    Is this the information you were trying to get from me? I'm really trying here, please continue being so patient. I need you!

9. 2009/11/16
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

No idea which OS you are using - please complete your System Details as outlined here .....

http://www.windowsbbs.com/adding_system_specifications.html

Assuming XP ...

Start > Run > type in regedit > Enter

Registry Editor opens - navigate to the key Arie pointed to.....

HKEY_Local_Machine \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ shell \ open \ command

Edit - Windows 7 .....

Orb > type in regedit in the search box - under Programs at the head of the search list you will see regedit.exe. Run it.

10. 2009/11/16
    SueZee

Thank you! That has helped and I have now edited my message to Arie and tried to update what I know about my computer.

11. 2009/11/17
    Arie

Have a look, this is what I'm looking for:

Attached Files:

12. 2009/11/17
    SueZee

It looks like I was in the right place, but I do not have anything that says "htmlfile" in my directory there. Mine only says "html ".

Also, I decided to load up outlook on my work computer today since I also have Microsoft Office 2007 there and it will let me click on the links on my work laptop. I went into the settings and saw it was actually set up with more security features turned on than the one here that is giving me trouble at home. Therefore, I'm wondering if this could be my PC causing the problem with security and not the outlook program itself?

Sometimes my Explorer 8 will shut its self down and say I have some security issue. Can't remember the exact error message right now, but I will see if I can get it to do it again as that might be a clue? Explorer was doing this to me when I had Vista and it has done it again since I installed Windows 7 Home Edition last week.

13. 2009/11/17
    SueZee

Okay, this is embarassing, but I didn't scroll down far enough last time. <blush> I found that location you were asking me for. That graphic you sent me to show me what you are looking for looks exactly like it could have been a screen shot of my computer when I have regedit open. I think the default key you were asking me for is C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IExplore.EXE "-nohome

Last edited: 2009/11/17
  14. 2009/11/18
    Arie

Let's see if there's Malware involved: Read this post, then post the requested log(s) in the Malware and Virus Removal forum.

15. 2009/11/18
    SueZee

Okay, I have done what you have requested and ran the diagnostic program and posted a new thread in the malware section. It is frustrating that explorer hasn't shut down on me now when I want it to so I can write down the error message it was giving me. ARGH.

In regards to you asking me earlier about what the "Value data of the (Default) key in the following registry location: HKEY_Local_Machine \ Software \ Classes \ htmlfile \ shell \ open \ command" did I give you what you needed to know inorder to figure out why the hyperlinks are not working in my outlook 2007?

16. 2009/11/19
    Arie

No, that key looks fine.

17. 2009/11/19
    SueZee

I'm pretty sure the problem must be a corrupt registery key. I have been running a program called Registery Booster, do you think that could have done something? What should I do from here?

18. 2009/11/20
    Arie

If you are lucky the program has a backup of your registry to restore, if not, try Windows System Restore to a restore point prior to running RB.

Get rid of that software! Best registry software = no registry software!

19. 2009/11/21
    SueZee

Oh great, I paid for the program and everything trying to do the "right thing ". So basically there is nothing I can do then about the restrictions on the computer that are stopping links from opening in outlook then? It says it has corrected hundreds of errors, if I go back to a restore point before I ever used it, will I be better off or worse off....I have no way of knowing if the program has helped more than it hindered at this point so am not sure what the best thing to do is. <sigh>

20. 2009/11/21
    SueZee

Okay, I looked at Registery Booster and see that I have only ever done partial backups, but I did restore my registery to the point before my first scan with Registery Booster and it didn't make any difference. I still can not open links in my email. I hate that! Just sayin..........<sad sigh>
    Is there nothing else I can do? I wonder if I should have done the complete install of Windows 7 instead of the upgrade? I just didn't want to lose everything on my computer and have to start all over. Now I suspect it's too late, pretty sure you can only use that disk once right?

21. 2009/11/21
    tashman847

tashman847 Inactive

Hi SueZee.

Try and install Google Chrome Web Browser.

Download Google Chrome

Once installed try opening a link from Outlook and see if it opens in Chrome.

Please report back with your findings.

Tom :O)