1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook 2003 How to control what folders remain open

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by tquinn, 2015/04/20.

1. 2015/04/20
    tquinn Contributing Member

tquinn Well-Known Member Thread Starter

For a long time I used Outlook Express with XP, which had two options on startup: Either it opened all the folders with unread mail in them, or it left your folders open or closed based on how you last shut down Outlook Express. I preferred the latter setting

Since I've switched to Outlook 2003, every time I start it, all of the folders are closed. I've tried to find a setting so that when I start it, it would show the same folders open as when I last closed Outlook 2003. But I have been unable to find it.

Is there such a setting, or am I just stuck with having them all closed when I start Outlook 2003?

Thanks,

2. 2015/04/20
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In Outlook 2010 - Tools-> Options->Advance allows to to select ONE folder to "start in. "

I'm certain Outlook 2003 has the same type of option.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/04/20

Outlook 2003 How to control what folders remain EXPANDED

Steve, thanks for the quick reply. Outlook 2003 does have that capability to always start in a specific folder. However, what I'm looking for is to reopen one or any number of folders that were expanded when Outlook Express was last closed down. So it isn't just being on the folder, nor was it always the same folder or folders.

I was probably unclear by using the word "reopen." What I meant was which folders had the plus sign clicked so that they and all their subfolders were expanded. I just changed the title of the thread in this message to clarify that.

Outlook Express supported this (or maybe just defaulted to it). But one way or the other, it saved the view of the folders on which were closed and which were expanded, from the last shutdown. Or you could set it to expand all to all folders that had unread messages in them.

By default, Outlook 2003, when started, shows all folders collapsed. That is what I would like to change to how Outlook Express does it as described above. Can that be done?

5. 2015/05/25

This problem is not yet solved. Steve asked me to reply to it to move it to the top of the thread, so that is what I'm doing here.

6. 2015/05/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

What you want is available in Mozilla Thunderbird. Neil.

7. 2015/05/25

That may be true, but the problem I'm citing with Outlook is only a nuisance. If I can't solve it, this problem won't be enough to change my email client.

Thank for the idea, however,

Terry

8. 2015/05/25
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Outlook.com in W8.1 has the Menus allowing display of emails. Neil.

9. 2015/05/26

Retiredlearner,

Is Outlook.com an "all Internet" client, where you have to download the messages as you read them? Or does it support POP3 mail transfer, where you can bring the emails onto your computer with a Send/Receive command and read, store, and reply on your computer without an Internet connection?

Terry