1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Outlook 2000 won't start

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by taff, 2002/09/07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/09/07
    taff

taff Inactive Thread Starter

The subject line pretty well sums it up - Outlook just hangs at the product splash screen everytime I try to run it - no error message, just stops responding.

Everything was fine in the morning and I haven't installed anything new or changed any settings. The only thing out of the ordinary that has happened is that I hung the whole system when too many apps caused me to run out of resources. I wasn't using Outlook at the time but I *think* it was one of the many open apps - it usually is.

I rebooted (via reset) and picked up where I left off. I didn't try to open Outlook again for many hours and when I finally did - no go.

I have.... run a scandisk, run sfc, run Microsoft Office Repair - none have helped.

I've tried running it with an older copy of the pst, completely uninstalled/reinstalled Office 2000

I'm running Outlook 2000 on Win98SE.

Any ideas? I'm somewhat ******* if I lose my Outlook data :(

Oh - one curious thing I noticed:

Ususally, if Outlook hangs for some reason, when I CTRL-ALT-DEL it shows simply as "outlook" - what's showing now is "Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) 2000"

Not sure if this is relevant or not.

I've searched the web high and low but haven't found any cases similar to mine although without an error message to go on, it is hard to pinpoint anything.

Getting desparate here!

taff,
  2. 2002/09/07
    Daizy

Daizy Inactive

Hi taff
    Welcome to the boards!
    After a fresh boot....do a ctrl/alt/del for us....and list what's in the close programs dialogue box?

Daizy

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/09/07
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Copied from another source:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try starting Outlook once with the /safe command line switch for example from the Start > Run > type "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /safe with the quotes and the space before the forward slash. Note your path to outlook.exe may be different. If Outlook starts this way then the most common causes for the locking up are:

1. Corrupt messages in your Inbox.
    2. Corrupt or damaged Toolbar.
    3. Damaged view.
    4. Add-in causing the error.

Resolution
    For No.1 remove the first or last message in your Inbox depending on how you sort the Inbox.

If it is No 2 then renaming outcmd.dat (with Outlook closed) should clear the toolbars, search your hard drive for a file called outcmd.dat and rename it to outcmd.old then start Outlook (if this doesn't cure your problem then you can rename the file back to outcmd.dat and regain any customization of the Toolbars).

For No. 3 the running the /cleanviews command line switch will reset all views to default for example from the Start > Run > type "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Outlook.exe" /cleanviews with the quotes and the space before the forward slash. Note your path to outlook.exe may be different.

For No. 4 go to Tools > Options > Other > Advanced Options > Add-ins and uncheck all the add-ins. Close and restart Outlook, then add the add-ins one by one (closing and restarting Outlook each time) until you get to the problematic add-in. Depending on the add-in you may be able to remove it completely via Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and then re-install a
    fresh copy. If after a re-install you are still getting problems with the add-in then uninstall it again close Outlook do a search for a file called extend.dat and rename it to extend.old and repeat the installation of the add-in.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck!

Last edited: 2002/09/07
  5. 2002/09/07
    taff

taff Inactive Thread Starter

Forever in your debt guys!

Brett, it was number 2.

Wish I'd found this site 24 hours ago, would have saved me much hair pulling and reinstalling!

Thanks again,

taff

taff,
  6. 2002/09/07
    brett

brett Inactive Alumni

Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting back :)

7. 2002/11/08
    Titan

Titan Inactive

Sorry this is a bit late, but I just found this thread. I'm running a 2000Pro network and recently updated some users from Office 98 to Office XP. One user's Outlook was freezing up like this. I noticed that, behind the splash, you could see the emails and the outlook bar, but the toolbars were greyed out and incomplete. Number 2, it was! Thanks, I've been racking my brain for two weeks on this one.

Last edited: 2002/11/08
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.