1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Optimizing a SSD for Win10Pro

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Barry, 2016/03/25.

1. 2016/03/25
    Barry

Barry Geek Member Thread Starter

I now have Win 10 Pro on my 250GB SSD. I noticed Superfetch is disabled on my SSD by default. Should I enable it? What is the ideal page file size for my system? Should I leave drive indexing on? Should I minimize my disk space?

Are there any other suggestions for optimizing a SSD for Win10Pro?

2. 2016/03/26
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Windows 10 is not XP. You don't have to treat W10 like we did XP. In fact, what was necessary with XP to improve performance can be detrimental to performance with W10. You don't have to tweak W10 to make it better. It already knows how to properly setup and use a SSD, fetch routines, page files, and indexing.

In other words, just leave the defaults as they are.

I don't know what you mean by minimize disk space. I do recommend regularly cleaning out the clutter and Windows own Disk Cleanup works great for that. So does CCleaner. And I recommend you uninstall any programs you installed you don't use. Other than that, don't try to fix something that is not broken.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/03/26
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

5. 2016/03/26
    Barry

My questions were originally triggered by Arie's article. I just wanted to know what is current and what is outdated regarding that article (as applied to Win10 on a 250GB SSD).

Arie suggested I post the questions here.

6. 2016/03/27
    Bill

I think it is an excellent article for W8.x users and older SSDs. But W10 is even more advanced than W8.1 and is configured out of the box to work with SSDs. And current generation SSDs are much better with internal housekeeping and optimization too.

Bill,
  7. 2016/03/27
    Barry

So I'm hearing you to say everything in Arie's article is irrelevant for Win10 / modern SSD combinations. If there is anything that remains relevant to new systems, please identify what that might be.

8. 2016/03/27
    Bill

I am not saying that. I am saying W10 works just fine with modern hardware right out of the box.

I have to admit, I am confused why some feel Microsoft, after more than 25 years developing Windows and working with hardware makers to ensure their hardware works optimally, and with nearly 1.5 billion Windows computers in use today, don't know what they are doing?

Granted, every Windows system becomes unique within the first few minutes after the very first boot. But all Windows compatible hardware and software must comply with industry standards that are widely published and understood by those hardware and software developers. Is your hardware and software so rare and unique that you believe it does not conform to industry standards, and thus requires unique tweaking?

Bill,
  9. 2016/03/27
    Barry

It's not that I feel my system is so unique, but I want to understand how everything works and how changes might impact my system, not that I'm going to jump and do all those changes. I come here to learn, and I appreciate when people take the time to explain knowledge to me.

10. 2016/03/27
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I agree. I think that Barry is trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

11. 2016/03/27
    Barry

It's interesting how people make assumptions about what is going on in my mind and then treat those assumptions as facts.

12. 2016/03/27
    Bill

There may be assumptions but I don't see anyone treating them as facts. Had I done that, I would have said "your hardware is not so unique it requires special tweaking ". Instead, I asked you if it was so rare and unique? And MrBill just said what he thinks is happening. He did not say that is what you are doing.

If you want to see what a change might do to your system, create a current back up image and change it. If you don't see any improvement, or if you see a degradation, change it back. Only keep the change if you can actually see real improvements. Just be aware of the placebo affect.

13. 2016/03/27
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Barry, I have 4 SSD's currently in use. 3 Desktops and 1 HP Notebook. 2 Desktops are running W10 Pro - my main comp and the other dedicated to Windows Insider Program.
    My HP Notebook is running W10 Home and the wife's Desktop is running W8.1 Pro. All 64bit systems.
    I installed SSD's in all of these and have not found any need to optimize as from pressing the Start button to Desktop takes less than 30 seconds on all of them.
    I still have an older comp running XP Home 32bit and it falls into the old adage of press Start button and go make a cup of coffee while waiting for Desktop to appear.
    In my opinion - if it ain't broke-don't fix it!
    So far with all W8.1 and W10 OS's we are using, we have had no problems like BSOD or FREEZES. It's a matter of making sure that your Hardware and Software are up to date with the newest drivers from manufacturer/s who in some cases have been tardy in producing suitable drivers for the newer OS's.
    Please seek help if you have a specific problem/query but I think you will find that W10 is very intuitive and user friendly.
    I find it's like driving a new car - it takes time to understand how the new tech gear works, and sometimes you need to ask how and what things do. ;) Neil.

14. 2016/03/27
    Barry

Neil, I appreciate the feedback. I understand if is ain't broke-don't fix it, but I'm curious how Win 10 has addressed those issues brought up by Arie in his article. It's not that I need to do anything, but I like to understand the reasoning behind past and present recommendations... other than just Trust Microsoft. I think you understand the difference between learning and blind trust.

15. 2016/03/27
    retiredlearner

Barry, This may be a more up to date explanation of what W10 does/will do:
    "Windows 10 and your SSD "
    http://blog.ocz.com/windows-10-and-your-ssd/
    This clarified things for me and it's easy to check what is what. Neil.

CaneMan likes this.
  16. 2016/03/27
    Barry

Neil, thanks for the link. That helped to clarify most of my questions. With confirmation from Arie on how he optimizes his Win10 SSD, I've made adjustments on page file (limiting the size on the SSD and putting the rest on my backup partition), disabled hibernation, save my docs and other similar files to my backup partition and run some of my programs from my backup partition. I leave the important programs on my SSD. I'm no expert on SSDs, now, but I am comfortable with my understanding of changes that have taken place with Win10 and new SSDs. Thanks.

17. 2016/03/27
    retiredlearner

Barry, As I said it clarified things for me because when I installed W10 to the SSD, everything worked OK straight off and with more speed than a spinning disc. A simple explanation and guidance on where to look and you're away laughing. :) Neil.

18. 2016/03/28
    Bill

Unless you are running critically low on free disk space with that SSD, there is absolutely no reason to dink with the Page File settings or limit its size. This is not about "blind trust" for Microsoft! I am sorry, but you still seem stuck on blind "distrust ".

This is also not about security or privacy either (where there is some justification to not trust them blindly - thought that is WAY blown out of realistic proportions - and for another discussion).

This is all about system performance. Period. And you can trust that Microsoft wants your computer to work at peak performance. They have no incentive to not want that!

Most importantly, it is a mistake to just set and forget your page file size! Why? Because your virtual memory requirements change dynamically as the tasks performed by your computer change. To properly set a PF, you need to analyze your virtual memory requirements and adjust the PF accordingly. Do you know how to properly analyze your requirements? Or did you just pick some arbitrary number? Even most experts don't know how to properly size theirs!

But more than that, because the requirements change dynamically, one size does not fit all! You cannot just set and forget - ESPECIALLY if you set a small limit! For this reason, Windows constantly monitors the virtual memory requirements and dynamically adjusts the PF "as needed ". This may be once or twice a month, or several times a day! Are you doing that too?

I know how to properly analyze my virtual RAM but no way am I going to waste my time doing that when I know Windows already know how, and is constantly checking and adjusting as necessary.

So just let Windows manage your Page File if you want your computer to run optimally. This is especially true if you are not an expert in computer memory management!

If you need the disk space, move the PF to a different drive and let Windows manage it there. Or buy a bigger disk. And FTR, if someone tells you you don't need a PF if you have gobs of RAM, they don't know what they are talking about. There is absolutely no evidence anywhere showing that limiting, setting a fixed size, or disabling the page file improves performance - regardless how much RAM you have installed.

And "I didn't notice any difference" is no reason to dink with the PF settings.

19. 2016/03/28
    Barry

I do have my PF managed by Windows on a different drive.

20. 2016/03/28
    Bill

Okay, but you said you are limiting the size on the SSD. If I may ask, why? Is that 256GB SSD running low on free space?

Do also note that SSDs are ideally suited for Page Files. See Support and Q&A for Solid-State Drives and scroll down to, "Frequently Asked Questions, Should the pagefile be placed on SSDs?" While the article is getting old, it still applies - even more so now since wear problems of early generation SSDs are no longer a problem.

And by the way, please forgive, I know this must seem like I am badgering you. I just feel there are some preconceived, long held perceptions here and I realize those are often most difficult to let go.

21. 2016/03/28
    Barry

I do expect to use most of the drive, so I chose to set it up this way now rather than change it later. Arie suggested putting a limited amount on the SSD and let Windows manage any overflow on another drive.