1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Optical mouse laser light blinks and goes out...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by MaxV, 2017/08/28.

1. 2017/08/28
    MaxV

MaxV New Member Thread Starter

I have a Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3500 that I've used for years without an issue. The mouse has suddenly begun to stop working. The blue laser light blinks several times and goes off and the mouse stops responding. The green light that shows battery power blinks rapidly once and goes off. I changed the battery thinking it was a battery issue. Doesn't seem to be so. I replaced the battery with a new one out of the package. The mouse works when the power button is turned on, and about a minute later after working it turns off. I removed the battery and left the mouse unplugged for a day. It started working once more, but about an hour later the laser blinking problem started. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

MaxV,
  2. 2017/08/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Unplug the usb receiver and plug it back in, or try a different usb port. Mine sometimes needs the receiver removed and reconnected. And sometimes a new battery won't work if the battery has been around for a bit. Theoretically, a new unused battery will be "good" for quite some time, but I have encountered some that are near dead right out of the box.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/08/28
    MaxV

MaxV New Member Thread Starter

Yes I did the unplug thing and used a new port. The PC recognized the hardware and doesn't seem to have a problem receiving the connection. The light goes out in the mouse. The optical laser light blinks and dies after using for about a minute. Then I have to turn off the mouse for several minutes and turn it back on for it to work. Repeat cycle. I've used like 2 new batteries, same results. I tried Googling the issue but nothing shows up for this particular one. People mention the LED indicator going off but that's not what's happening.

MaxV,
  5. 2017/08/28
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Try another mouse and/or try that mouse on another computer. While laser mice (no moving parts) do last for years, they can fail, and this one is years old.

Bill,
  6. 2017/08/28
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Clean the contacts inside where the battery touches and try a brand-new-from-the-store-today battery.

7. 2017/08/29
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi MaxV, What OS are you using? In W10 have you tried Troubleshooting?