1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Opinion on Online Therapy

Discussion in 'General Internet' started by felicityblue, 2017/11/06.

1. 2017/11/06
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

Since this is all about internet topics, I would like to gather your opinions about online therapy. I am used to go to the doctor's office and have my personal psychological sessions with him but now I heard that this is the new thing going on. Is this even legit and professional? How can we be so sure that we are talking to a professional therapist or counselor?

2. 2017/11/06
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Can't say that I would do it....unless it was with my regular shrink.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/11/06
    ephemarial

ephemarial Well-Known Member

Partially agree with Steve - if it’s a quick follow up question from previous session.

Major part of counseling is paying very close attention to the client. Body language and voice are vital for asking what to follow up on.

Don’t think I’d want to pay for expert advice while denying that . From me too watching how counselor reacts.

5. 2017/11/07
    felicityblue

felicityblue Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I am also having same thoughts on this before. Our friend has tried online marriage counseling because both are working abroad but they want to see a therapist immediately. They reported that it's convenient and effective for them.

6. 2017/11/08
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Another Dr. Google? Better to make an appointment with your known therapist.

7. 2017/11/08
    ragsmuth

ragsmuth New Member

I didn't know that online therapy is available now, if it's effective then why not. will check out that site.

8. 2017/12/05
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

My concerns would be two:

1. Observation is a key aspect of communication for both the therapist and patient. If one can look at the person in front of one then a fuller communication can occur and judgement follows. If one cannot look to observe then communication is limited.
    2. Privacy/Security: Therapy is confidential and in most free countries protected by civil laws. Chance are that online sessions are recorded or stored in a database for later review by the therapist, just as a live therapists would take notes during a session. I would not want my therapy sessions stored on a server, even if the only data logged was IP address, date-time and other meta data.

Statistically, the majority of live therapy gets poor results. I'm don't want to negate anyone's benefits here, if you did benefit, then that's great. But the truth is that one may get therapy for years with little results, or the therapy becomes maintenance based. (doctors and therapists know that, which is why the trend today is to resort to drugs to treat symptoms, and give up on cures) That said, how would online therapy be any more successful than live therapy since all therapy depends upon communication, and online therapy communication is limited at best and lacks true observation necessary to be able to make competent decisions.

Last edited: 2017/12/05