1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Windows Vista Only boots in safe mode,will not restart

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Reilly, 2014/05/15.

1. 2014/05/15
    Reilly

Reilly Inactive Thread Starter

It seems I have about the same probs as adidaman.
    This has been going on for a while but a System Restore always fixed it.
    The other day the first Sys Restore didn't work, I had to go back three or four days.
    Today I tried the most recent restore point and then the oldest, neither worked.
    Now:
    1. It only boots in safe mode
    2. Ran sfc /scannow at least three times and it keeps saying it found corrupt files
    which it successfully repaired. How many times does it take? When I try to
    restart it won't shutdown.
    3. When I tried to look at the log file from the cmd prompt it Access is denied!
    @C:\Users\Reilly I typed C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log as it said to.
    4. This ASUS laptop only came with a Vista Upgrade disc which has no repair
    files on it that I see. ASUS' website says they have recovery discs which one
    can buy!

Last edited: 2014/05/15
  2. 2014/05/15
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2014/05/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Reilly. When you attempt to boot the computer into Normal Mode what happens? Do you get an error message?

From Safe Mode have you tried performing a clean boot and then seeing if you can boot into Normal Mode? If not follow the instructions from here, How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

5. 2014/05/16
    FIXanything

FIXanything Well-Known Member

Hi Reilly, first i would like to know your answer to Evan Omo's post. What happens when you attempt to boot the computer in normal mode or u try to startup the windows in normal mode? Does it restart automatically or u get an error message? --- Raunak

6. 2014/05/16
    Reilly

When I tried to get it to go in normal it would do the first ASUS/Windows screen, then the next screen with the bars that zip along, and that was that! I let it go a number of times for quite a while but it was clear it was in a death loop. Safe mode was fine. Per Evan's suggestion I did a clean boot no probs and then it booted fine in normal except that in the clean boot I had disabled the startup stuff per the instructions in Evan's link. Then I couldn't get Kaspersky to load for the life of me and I was thinking Snowden and his evil ones had gotten to Kaspersky. After a bunch of tries back in safe mode I think I have things back to 'normal', including Kaspersky. Of course I have no idea what caused the initial prob although I am certain it is related to Windows updates which are now turned off.

Thinking it was some Windows update that caused it after my clean boot I tried to uninstall someof the updates which were totally unnecessary (like Office which I don't even use).

Does the uninstall not work after a clean boot?
    Should I try uninstalling those again now in normal? There are bazillions of them!

Thanks!

Last edited: 2014/05/16
  7. 2014/05/17
    Evan Omo

I don't think the Windows Updates are the problem here. If the clean boot now works then you can try re-enabling all the startup items to see if Windows will boot into Normal Mode with everything enabled.

If Windows fails to boot into Normal Mode then you have some startup item that is preventing Windows from booting properly.

FIXanything likes this.
  8. 2014/05/17
    FIXanything

FIXanything Well-Known Member

I totally agree with your advice, Evan. :)

9. 2014/05/20
    Reilly

It is booting fine now but I have no clue what caused the problems.

10. 2014/05/22
    Evan Omo

So would you consider this thread resolved then or do you still have some questions?

11. 2014/05/23
    Reilly

Well, I had three days of no problems. It shut down fine last night but would not boot this morning. It gets to the second window with the MS copyright and the little bar moving along and ... So I powered off and started it in Safe Mode. When I went to Sys Restore the first window that appeared was the one that asks if you want the last known good config except today the window did not show the options. I took a chance and clicked on the Next button where the last good config was from three days ago. Why wouldn't it have been yesterday when it booted fine? Anyway, I said yes and when it tried to reboot it hung at the same MS copyright window. I guess I will try another Clean Boot.