1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Old BIOS... upgradable??

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by LarryB, 2016/12/16.

1. 2016/12/16
    LarryB

LarryB Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have my trusty little netbook with the external CD burner. While troubleshooting my desktop, I noticed that the netbook's BIOS has no facility for booting from a CD. That severly limits what one can do when in a future problem solving adventure. The manufacture no longer supports the netbook. Any options on finding an appropriate BIOS upgrade with CD boot capability or just accept and move on?

2. 2016/12/16
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I have no idea where to look and don't think anybody else would if we don't know anything about your netbook. Brand and model # would be helpful for starters.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/12/16
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi LarryB. You can visit the manufacturers website of your netbook model to see if a BIOS update is available but more than likely see if there is an option for booting from a USB flash drive. If you can boot from a USB flash drive which that option should be present in the BIOS then that netbook will work just fine.

5. 2016/12/16
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

How about USB thumb drive? Do you have USB port/s on your trusty netbook? Like Mr.Bill stated - please give us more info about your Netbook. If it is no longer supported - you may be pushing the proverbial uphill without a shovel.

6. 2016/12/17
    LarryB

That is kinda how I am feeling. Sorry, it is a Hannspree SN12E24, Win 7 32-bit. The Boot Settings in the BIOS only has the HDD listed as an option. The only thing I see as far as hardware options go is that in Advanced Settings- Onboard Device Configuration, the Onboard LAN Controller is enabled and the Onboard Lan Boot ROM is disabled. The BIOS is an American Megatrends v8.00.16 4/18/2010. It looks like a BIOS from back when my HDD was (a whopping) 6Mb. And it does have USB and HDMI jacks.

I tried something. I put in a USB Flash upon restart and it does show on the list of HDDs as the 2nd Drive. I can switch the priorities so that the USB is 1st but it seems very specific to THAT flash drive (PNY USB 2.0 FD). Your thoughts?

Thanks for your time and efforts. Larry

Last edited: 2016/12/17
  7. 2016/12/17
    LarryB

I think I figured something out. The BIOS on my desktop shows all the options upfront when choosing bootup order but I see that this BIOS has to have the device hooked up upon bootup to show it. So, to use an external CD drive or USB Flash for boot up, you have to plug it in, boot into BIOS, change the ordering now that the device shows up and then reboot into it. Does that make sense? Thanks

Edited due to nonsense.

Last edited: 2016/12/17
  8. 2016/12/17
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Sounds like you've sussed it out. I still don't think you will be able to update the BIOS if the manufacturer has not provided one. Any luck with American Megatrends?

9. 2016/12/17
    LarryB

Seems like a crapshoot so I will work with what we have. Everyone points to the manufacturer and since that is moot, it is moot! Thanks,

Larry