1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Odd Internet connection situation.

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Ishmael, 2017/01/10.

1. 2017/01/10
    Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Thread Starter

My computer crashed while reverting from Win 10 to Win 7 using the inbuilt facility. This corrupted the SSD with the OS on it and made it unreadable. I installed a new SSD and put the sofware on it from my previously made list.
    On connecting my Netgear wireless router it didn't wait for me to install it's software and made it's own connection. This seems to work OK BUT the Network and Sharing centre does not show my ISP, showing instead :- MyPC ----Raeltek PCIe GBE ------- Internet. This remained so after I entered to Netgear setup and entered my ISPs name. As far as I can recall the routers name used to appear between My{C and Internet.
    I fear the routers firewall and security settings are being bypassed.
    As a test I swapped the Netgear router for a new Zyxel one that I got when changing ISPs some time ago, the situation remained unchanged.
    Would some knowledgeable member please comment with helpful advice for this Octogenarian.

2. 2017/01/11
    elcajongunsfan Lifetime Subscriber

elcajongunsfan Well-Known Member

my comment is that when I view network properties as you have, it does NOT show the name of your ISP, just the word 'internet"

Regards

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/01/11
    Ishmael

Ishmael Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Correction: The comment about my ISP was misplaced. Until to-day it used to show up in the small Internet box, RH bottom of screen, I reset the Modem and it vanished..
    The statement re MyPC ----- PCIe GBE ------ Internet is correct. Question: Is this normal?

5. 2017/01/11
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Like lj I don.t see my ISP's name and I don't think I've ever seen it appear in any Windows OS.
    Would you not be able Format the drive to re-use it?

6. 2017/01/12
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

1. No software from a router is required, especially Netgear Genie, the router can be managed using a Web browser and the router IP address in the browser address bar.
    2. The only time it may be necessary to enter an ISP's info in a router setup is when using a PPoE connection such as DSL. Cable and FIOS connections do not need the ISP info in a router.
    yes, normal