1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Nothing but problems with new update and an alternative to Classic shell

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by alboy, 2017/12/23.

1. 2017/12/23
    alboy

alboy Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have just updated to Version 1709 ( Build 16299.125 ) and it caused problems with Malwarebytes ( resolved ) and Kaspersky KIS2018 ( resolved ) it also caused a problem with my Samsung printer driver resolved by reinstalling but I am still having a problem with Classic shell it pops up a box saying it will have to configure itself and I click okay but it does not seem to do it automatically. I do appreciate that it is becoming unstable especially as there will be no further updates does anybody know a reliable replacement that will give me a similar interface on my desktop, it does not have to be free just reliable. I have just tried Start10 but do not like it as much as Classic Shell
    Please oh please when will Microsoft stop updating for the sake of updating and continually causing problems with every update.
    any help and support would be very welcome.
    Happy Christmas to everybody.

Last edited: 2017/12/23
  2. 2017/12/23
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

I actually prefer Start10 to Classic Shell but I am sad to see CS's development end. Competition is a good thing.

What don't you like about Start10? It does not have as many features as CS, but then some would say CS was bloated with extra features most users just didn't need. In some cases, it was those extras that created the constant stream of compatibility issues for the developers.

StartIsBack and Pokki are two more popular start screen alternatives. StartIsBack is not free, but pretty close at $3. Pokki supposedly if fully compatible with W10.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/12/23
    alboy

I suppose I was just comfortable with Classic Shell after several years of use, one of the puzzles with Start10 is how you add items to the bottom left of the popup menu all that keeps appearing is "settings" I would like to get File Explorer listed but so far have been unable to get it to appear even though it is selected in the personalisation options.

5. 2017/12/23
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Never had any problems with the 16299.125 update but there again I don't use any 3rd party AV or CS.
    My only addition on this drive is Malwarebytes and CCleaner. Defender works sweet as for me as I figure who else would know to protect their OS better than MS.
    The advice from MS when updating is to disable any 3rd party AV as it may cause problems during the update.
    When are people going to utilize the OS as it is?
    Life is always changing and you can't always stay in the past. I say at my age if I can do it - what's the problem?
    If you RIGHT click on File Explore in Windows System does include on Start achieve anything?

6. 2017/12/24
    alboy

I can get File Explorer to attach above the line what I want is to list certain things like File explorer below the line as I have said Settings appear their but I cant get anything else to stay their I have tried drag and drop but it does not work.
    If you look at the attached picture you will see what I mean.

Attached Files:

7. 2017/12/24
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Why does that not make sense to others?

Left? You mean under "All Programs"? File Explorer should already be there under the "Windows System" folder.

Bill,
  8. 2017/12/24
    alboy

Thanks for all the replies and merry Christmas to all at WBBS

9. 2017/12/24
    retiredlearner

If you use the W10 Menu display -- File Explorer is the icon third up on the left.;) Do you want it to appear in Text? Merry Xmas to you.

10. 2017/12/25
    alboy

Yes I would like it to appear in text, using the Modern option in Start10

11. 2017/12/26
    retiredlearner

If you click on the Menu at the Top left of that window - the Text will appear alongside all the icons shown in the Menu - but it widens the space:eek:
    I don't know how to change that to Text and I can't see the reason for wanting to. We use icons in all our devices (including household white goods).