1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Not enough memory error when trying to run a dos program in a window.

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by GaryK, 2004/11/05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2004/11/05
    GaryK

GaryK Inactive Thread Starter

Hello,

I remember that i had this error years ago with windows 95 but I do not recall what I did to fix it. When I try to run a DOS program in a window or even try to install some programs( that use DOS) it fails and the error that is displayed is " not enough memory, close some programs and try again ".

I am running win 98 se on a 1.2GHz Celeron with over 1/2 gig ram. There are not enough programs open to use up all the ram.

I think the problem is in my config.sys or the autoexec.bat. maybe both.

any suggestions ? thanks Gary K

2. 2004/11/06
    markp62

markp62 Geek Member Alumni

Dos is not looking at the 512 mb of ram that you have, it is looking at the 640 kb of ram below the 1 mb boundary. Ram is divided up into three main areas.

Basic Ram 640 kb

Upper Memory Blocks 360 kb

Expanded Memory 1 mb to 64 mb
    and/or
    Extended Memory 1 mb >>

Note; Expanded Memory is only mentioned as older dos programs use this type of memory as it existed before Extended Memory. Windows can provide Expanded Memory if needed, Emm386.Exe does not need to be loaded.

So if Config.Sys and Autoexec.Bat loads any device drivers, it is likely they are loaded into Basic Memory. To eliminate them as the cause, rename them, or post the contents of them on here.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2004/11/06
    Wainui

Wainui Inactive

Try this fix, click Here

5. 2004/11/06
    broni

broni Moderator Malware Analyst

Adding to Mark's post...
    Win 98 doesn't need "autoexec.bat ", or "config.sys" whatsoever, to run, so you may uncheck both in "msconfig ", and see, if it'll suppress that error.

6. 2004/11/06
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

If you have over 512 installed, it's a vcache issue.

Do Start > Run > System.ini
    Scroll to the [vcache] section
    Add the line
    MaxFileCache=512000
    Save, exit and reboot

7. 2004/11/07
    Dez Bradley

Dez Bradley Inactive

If it is a DOS program it is probably one of these 2 problems

1) The program is unable to correctly recognise the amount of memory you have installed. Some old programs have limitations what RAM they can recognise. Consider the program may not be written to handle large RAM chips or

2) You have not enough CONVENTIONAL memory to run the program. Conventional memory is the first 640 KB of memory, that some old programs must have a piece of to run.

To find out if it is problem 2, you need to create or edit a config.sys file in c:\

Yes win 98 doesnt need a config.sys in most cases to run, but you dont get control over things like conventional memory unless you use one, and DOS programs you run in win 98 will look to the autoexec.bat and config.sys for settings they need to run, as well as a file called dosstart.bat.

In the config.sys file add these line at the beginning. It wont hurt a thing to try, and cannot harm your PC. What case you use in all lines doesnt matter.

device=c:\windows\himem.sys
    DOS=HIGH,UMB
    devicehigh=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
    lastdrive=J

The last line assumes you dont have any drives with a letter greater than J. If you do make the highest letter you are using the lastdrive. These lines in simple terms free up conventional memory and load a memory manager needed by many DOS programs to run.

If already in the config.sys file, after what you just typed at the beginning, are other existing lines starting with device=, you can add the word HIGH to device to make devicehigh=. This loads the device into higher memory to free up conventional memory.

You may also need some CDROM lines and sound initiation lines for some DOS programs, so let me know if the CD wont work in game or there is no sound. Also many old games wont recognise new sound cards, and may run erractically on much faster CPUs than the ones available when it was made.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: 2004/11/07
  8. 2004/11/19
    Trekker

Trekker Inactive

WhitPhil fixed everything!

Thanks WhitPhil! I registered here just to say your solution worked for me, and everybody should try it.

Basically, my problem was after I installed 98SE on a new computer with 1GB RAM no dos program would load (not even command prompt). Annoying, this meant the audio drivers wouldnt install right ('Not enough memory available to run this program') which made Windows crash on every boot. Not good.

Adding the MaxFilesCache setting fixed everything. I recommend anyway having the error try this.

9. 2004/11/19
    WhitPhil

WhitPhil Inactive

Thanks for registering and responding.

The issue occurs once more than 512 is installed and the fix works, most of the time, depending on the particular hardware configuration. (up to 1 GB). Above a GB, it is hit and miss as to whether Windows will run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.