1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved not able to connect to internet with wifi

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Bearclaw, 2016/04/05.

1. 2016/04/05
    Bearclaw

Bearclaw Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Windows 7 Home Premium on HP 630 64bit laptop

Attempting to connect with a community WiFi set up fails. Running the troubleshooter I get the message 'The DNS server isn't responding'. On other attempts I get the DNS message and 'The default gateway is not available'.

I am not using any router but have one available. I am using a Bear Extender to enhance the incoming signal. This setup has been working just fine for many months with the only problems being those encountered with the TWC system itself.

I have updated all the Windows updates and have run malware programs so it does not appear that there could be problems in that area.

I am perfectly able to establish internet connection with my cell phone service as a hotspot.

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx

2. 2016/04/05
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Hi Bearclaw,
    Which Trouble shooter did you use?
    Right click Start > Control Panel > Troubleshooter or in Network and Sharing Center? Neil.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/04/05
    Bearclaw

Network and Sharing, I assumed that would be the most appropriate but need not be the case@

5. 2016/04/05
    Evan Omo

Evan Omo Computer Support Technician Staff

Hi Bearclaw. The BearExtender device is designed to work on the computer side to boost the computers Wi-Fi range. If you don't have a wireless network then the extender doesn't serve any purpose as there is no wireless network to connect to.

How have you been getting wireless Internet access without a router? Are you using your cell phone's cellular data as a hotspot to get online?

6. 2016/04/05
    Bearclaw

Yes I am using my cell phone as my hotspot right now, only way I can get internet at this time.

I have been getting internet via wifi which is a community thing. The bear extender is not needed for this connection but does a great job in getting a better signal particularly when the demand on the system is high. I have been using this set up for over a year now, just stated getting this DNS thingy a few days ago. The 'default gateway' is something I kinda ignore, it has popped up before as a message but never had any thing to do with service, I guess it is just something that my computer 'sees' from time to time.

7. 2016/04/06
    Evan Omo

Well if you are attempting to connect to another wireless network that you are not in control of then its not your computer that is the issue.

Its possible that the range of the wireless network just isn't that strong or the network if its a public wireless network is being overloaded with many simultaneous connections which could explain why your computer has been having trouble connecting to it.

8. 2016/04/06
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

If you connect to a "Community Wifi Network" then you ARE connection through a wifi router, or an access point connected to a separate router.

"The DNS server isn't responding" and "The default gateway is not available" are messages generated by Windows Networking when it fails to communicate with a router. The usual cause is the wifi network is out of range.

Another common cause is when the access point or router is configured for a finite number of simultaneous connections allowed, and when that limit is reached, further connections are refused.

virginia likes this.
  9. 2016/04/08
    Bearclaw

Thank you Evan and TonyT, the matter has been fixed. Indeed the problem was with the network being out of whack and there was nothing to be done on my part to correct things. Sadly the 'admin' of the system has no idea which end is up with the wifi system but thanks to your responses they actually called the folks that installed itl

Problem solved and thanks again.

10. 2016/04/08
    Evan Omo

Great. Thanks for letting us know. :)