1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

No windows updates in over a month?

Discussion in 'Legacy Windows' started by Marv6, 2017/02/20.

1. 2017/02/20
    Marv6 Lifetime Subscription

Marv6 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Has Microsoft stopped supporting win 8.1? Have not received any updates since early January and when I check for updates get message that none are available. Any thoughts on this. Thank you.

2. 2017/02/20
    Bill

Bill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Check your Update History. Some may have been installed without you realizing it.

But also note that there were no updates this last "Patch Tuesday" as Microsoft delays its usual Patch Tuesday updates supposedly due to problems with the delivery package, not the updates themselves.

Note this does not mean no updates will be released. If you are running Windows Defender, for example, you will still get regular (usually daily, often several a day) updates for that to keep it current and protecting your computer. And if a critical update needs to get out "now!" Microsoft will, as they have in the past, issue an "out-of-cycle" update to address that. In other words, I would not worry about it - for now.

Bill,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/02/20

Thank you for your reply, Bill. I have win update set to let me decide what to install. No auto updates. I usually get updates for adobe flash for IE and any security updates for win 8.1. Will wait!

5. 2017/02/20
    Bill

Bill,
    Marv6 likes this.
  6. 2017/02/21
    Christer

Christer Geek Member Staff

Yesterday, on Windows 7 SP1 I was prompted to update Flash from 24_0_0_194 to 24_0_0_221. That prompt came from Adobe, according to my setting in the Flash control panel.

7. 2017/02/21
    Bill

With W7, that makes sense. But starting with W8.1, (which the OP said he has) Flash was integrated with Windows. This was actually done to enhance security because of the constant barrage of newly discovered critical Flashed vulnerabilities and subsequent Flash updates that keep coming and coming, that were not being installed by users. It was becoming common for Flash to be many months (if not longer) behind putting systems at risk. By integrating it into Windows, Windows Update (at least if left with the recommended default settings) would ensure even Flash updates would be applied in a timely basis.

With this delay by Microsoft, Flash will be behind in W8.1 and newer. But at this point, that does not bother me because those operating systems, especially W10, is inherently more secure than the nearly 8 year old Windows 7.

Plus, just because there is an unpatched vulnerability in Flash or Windows, that IN NO WAY means it is exposed to bad guys and/or is exploitable even if exposed.

Any malicious code still needs to make it past all the other security features in our browsers and Windows, past our firewalls, routers, and our current anti-malware solutions just to reach such a vulnerability. Then the code would have to exploit the vulnerability while avoiding being detected by the anti-malware programs that constantly look for suspicious and malicious "behavior" or "activity". And finally, the malicious code would have it make it past our security on the way out to do the bad guy any good.

So I am not worried - yet. If Microsoft waits a couple more months before pushing out any updates, then I will start to wonder what is going on. In the meantime, I will make sure my security apps stay current and I will continue to be wary of any unsolicited links, downloads, attachments and pop-ups - same thing I do whether Windows Update is running or not.

Bill,
    Marv6 likes this.
  8. 2017/02/24

Got two new updates yesterday, Adobe Flash and Windows misc software removal tool.