1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

No Windows Startup or Shutdown Sound

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by larsonjean, 2006/06/24.

1. 2006/06/24
    larsonjean

larsonjean Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hi,
    My husband's computer is running Windows Media Center and he has been having this small problem for a long time but we have never been able to figure it out and are just curious as to why.

He can play CDs, and all and any sound files using Windows Media Player so he does have sound on his system.

His problem is that when he starts up his computer and also shuts it down, he never hears the Windows Start UP wav file or the Windows Shutdown wav file. I have looked on the computer and both of the files are there in the media folder and when I click to preview the sound, I hear them.

Hopefully someone can explain why he doesn't have these two sounds when he turns the computer on or off.

Thank you for your help.

Jean

2. 2006/06/24
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Jean

Have you checked out Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sound tab that a sound is specified for Start Windows and Exit Windows?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2006/06/24
    larsonjean

Yes, I checked out Control Panel and the sounds were specified to play the Start and Exit windows.

I don't understand why they don't play.

Thanks for your help.

Any othere suggestions.

Jean

5. 2006/06/25
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Also on the same page is a sound scheme selected?

6. 2006/06/25
    larsonjean

Yes, I checked the window and the sounds are definitely turned on and selected for Start Up and Shutdown.

The othere sounds seems to work such as, the critical stop sound and other sounds.

It seems when the computer goes off and on, there is just a little thud sound that comes out of the speaker.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Jean

7. 2006/06/25
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

8. 2006/06/25
    larsonjean

Thanks for trying.

I did get the fix from Kelly's Korner - line 211 - and it still doesn't work.

I guess my husband can just live without the sounds as long as he can play CDs, videos, etc.

Thanks anyway for trying to help me.

Jean

9. 2006/07/21
    larsonjean

Hi,

I posted this question several weeks ago and since I didn't find an answer I closed it down but now I would like to pursue it again.

When my husband's computer starts up he does not have any Windows Start Up sound or when he shuts the computer down, he doesn't get the shut down sound even though they are turned on in the Sounds and Audio Devices Properties.

When I go to the sounds in the Control Panel, I noticed that at the bottom of the window under the Program events, there is a box called
    Sounds: with a Browse box. This is NOT available so I can make it the Windows XP sound as it is on my son's computer.

Why is this grayed out, and how can I get it to be active so I can assign the Windows XP sounds to the computer?

Any help will be appreciated.

Jean

10. 2006/07/21
    mattman

mattman Inactive Alumni

The audio may be running on standard drivers installed by Windows. You could find and install the drivers from the manufacturer's website. I doubt it, but it may need accompanying software installed. You could check the drivers CDs that you have for the computer, which may save searching the 'net.

Run dxdiag, type dxdiag into the Run command line. There will be information and some basic tests under the sound and music tabs.

Matt

11. 2006/07/21
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Just out of curiousity have you tried changing the start and exit sounds to a much shorter wav sound, maybe one of those sounds that you know has no problem playing.

I bring this up because I had a timing problem with my own start and exit sounds where only part of the windows defaults were being heard. I changed mine to something very short (Windows XP Logoff Sound.wav) and have had no problem since.

Opps I see you mentioned that changing the sound for the scheme is greyed. Have you actually clicked on a sound assigned to an event. This selection box is greyed until you click on a listed event. At least it is on mine.

Last edited: 2006/07/21
  12. 2006/07/21
    larsonjean

Thanks for your help Matt. I haven't checked the driver CDs that came with my computer because I really don't know what or how to check. I did run dxdiag and I ran the tests on Sound 1 and Sound 2 and I heard all the sounds. Everything there seems to be working OK.

goddez1, I did try changing the start sound to a much shorter wav sound. It made no difference, I still didn't hear any start up sound.

I did click the Windows Start Up sound and then the Windows scheme is listed in the bottom so that seems to be OK.

Could it possibly be the speakers? Although it plays other sounds and CDs too.

Thanks again for your help.

Jean

P.S. One more thing, it seems as though when the computer turns on or off there is only a little thud noise coming out of the speaker instead of the start up and shut down sounds.

13. 2006/07/21
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

I'm not a hardware genius but it seems to me that if it was a speaker issue it would effect all the event sounds, not just the start and exit sounds.

Do you have another profile you can log into other than the one your using? If so, is the same start and exit glitch occuring in all profiles?

14. 2006/07/22
    tomxp

tomxp Well-Known Member

15. 2006/07/22
    Bmoore1129

Bmoore1129 Geek Member

Jean

Here is a long shot.

Check to see if the Windows Audio Service is started.

Start>Run>services.msc Scroll down to "Windows Audio ". Dbl click on the line.

If it is started, stop it - then start it again. Select Automatic in the drop down and apply. It will work without reboot.

I tried mine and when it is stopped, the Control Panel sound has the greyed out condition you described.

16. 2006/07/22
    larsonjean

goddez1 - No, I do not have another profile on this computer. Should I create a new user ID just to test it?

BMoore1129 - I did check to see if the Windows Audio Service was started. I did as you suggested, turned it off and turned it on. No Luck, still no start up sound.

TomXP - I don't know where to go once I open http://www.tutorialsall.com/WINDOWS/ website.

Thanks for the help.

Jean

17. 2006/07/22
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi Bmoore1129,

If I understood correctly, the greyed out condition is no longer an issue. The greyed out "event dropdown" is only greyed until made active (focus) by an event selection. The service must be working (conclusion by myself) or other event sounds wouldn't be heard such as exclamation, error, asterisk, maximize, minimize, etc. Again, if I understood correctly, they work as they should when they should. That's what makes this such a head scratcher. It's only the start and exit sounds that are a dud. :confused:

Last edited: 2006/07/22
  18. 2006/07/22
    tomxp

tomxp Well-Known Member

That site is hard to follow, forget it. I think even though your sound is working on other sections of your pc, you still could have a corrupted Windows sound device. Go here >>>>>

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

<<<<< and scroll pretty far down to #371 and download a new windows sound. Can't hurt. Let us know ok?

19. 2006/07/22
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Hi again Larsonjean,

If it were me, and I was doing this merely as a passtime because it was driving me crazy, I would indeed, create another power user account. If the problem is not shown to be an issue with the new account, there are new clues and methods of fixes that can be used. If on the other hand the problem remains even in the new account, you can always get rid of the new account you made. Your only loss will time.

20. 2006/07/22
    larsonjean

tomxp - I did go to kellys-korner and downloaded and ran #371. No difference. Sorry.

goddez1 - You understood correctly, the grayed out condition is no longer an issue. How you explained it was perfect, everything is as you said. I agree that is why it is a mystery as every other sound works on the system. Hmmm.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if he never gets it back but I just don't understand the problem. I know there are many more important problems to solve so let me know if you think we should just give up.

Jean

21. 2006/07/22
    goddez1

goddez1 Inactive

Give up???? Never! I find these types of problems a treat and quite fun to track down. Of course, I usually have nothing better to be doing with my idle time (translation: nothing I'd rather be doing with my idle time.) I'm willing to keep plucking away at this as long as you are. While I'm no computer genius by any stretch, I'm just a person who knows many ways to go about something but not enough to decide what the best and fastest method is. Usually the fix is something I will just stumble on while trying various things. If I'm lucky I find it quick, if unlucky it may take me a week or so to finally get enough clues to lead to the fix. Since this isn't a system critical problem I'd pluck away at it as time, interest and patience lasted.

I would consider it battle flag raised and would fight it to the death... :)

----------
    My suggestion of a new account was in the hopes that the problem did not re-occur. If so then the fix would be in the difference between the two accounts:
    >startup apps
    >app options
    >default wav player
    >an export of the registry settings for HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents in the new account and an import into the problem account
    >services that have been set as manual unstead of auto

etc...

Last edited: 2006/07/22