1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

No More Adobe for Me

Discussion in 'Other PC Software' started by Hive, 2011/02/03.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2011/02/03
    Hive Lifetime Subscription

Hive Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have sworn off Adobe.

I bought their P-shop for good money many years back-version 5. Works fine. But they upgraded many times, looking for more money no doubt, and eventually declined to support the older versions in favor of very spendy new versions and plug ins for using RAW format in photography.

All the while, this editor functioned fine. No other help needed, until I needed to use RAW plug in. To work with that, I need to acquire a later version at very substantial money. No way. They offer another app to work with RAW called Light Room, but I will no longer take the chance.

In addition, I bought a Microtek Artixscan scanner for some big bucks. It came with Adobe Elements, but the serial number on the envelope did not match the version sent - 5.2, and would not "take. "

Adobe was of no help and sent me to Microtek...? I mean, it is their software and they did license its use and have the resources to help.

Well Microtek came through nearly immediately and the software functions fine.

And these outfits wonder why people pirate and look out for unauthorized copies of certain software?

The excuses abound, but any company that abandons its past users has no place in my world. Imagine an auto company that says, no fix, have to buy a new car...how long would they last?

Adobe and its management staff and any large software maker that does similar sins can take a flying whatever at the moon.

Microsoft take note.

Hive,
  2. 2011/02/03
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

In the for what its worth catagory.

I work for an accounting software company. Prices start at $10,000.00 with an annual renewal payment of close to $5,000.00.

In short, supporting older versions isn't as easy as you'd think. We all but force our clients to upgrade....and won't support more then the most current and the version before it.

All of our upgrades include enhancements AND fixes to old problems. Course, the new version can and will have "issues" too but that's another story:D

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2011/02/03
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you ever buy new clothes and shoes? :D

5. 2011/02/03

Adobe is Out

All the profits they show, check it, and the millions in net profit they retained, they cannot write a few lines to connect with an up to date plug in...give me a break...!

Dudes, you know what I mean. Shoes, clothes etc wear out, not software and its applications...duh!

Last edited: 2011/02/04
    Hive,
  6. 2011/02/03
    MrBill

MrBill SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Yeap, it will wear out kind of. Won't do stuff that is on the new version if somebody sent you something and wanted you to play with it.

7. 2011/02/04

A jpeg is what it is. A tiff file also. Raw maybe newer, but a wee plug-in to handle for the old thousands of older versions is not too much to ask.

Hive,
  8. 2011/02/07
    TonyT

TonyT SuperGeek Staff

Try tens of thousands lines of code.

As comp hardware evolves, programming languages eveolve, and software must evolve along with it. Same goes for transportation. There's a fellow in Nebraska with 400 buggy whips in his barn that he can't seem to sell.

9. 2011/02/08

No More Adobe

A crock...a long time ago I used to write code professionally too and started a software firm that still functions. Any decent firm, particularly A or MS thinks ahead, and they could have easily made sure all past software was functional with plug-ins...it is not rocket science. Software is what you make it and they chose to ***** many people who got them where they are. MS OS case is a bit different, as old hardware dies, the new stuff takes over...

Hive,
  10. 2011/02/08
    wildfire

wildfire Getting Old

Hive,

It's old software. You are asking for additional functionality so pay for it and I'm sorry I agree with Tony it's not simply a case of adding a few lines of code.

You wrote code "a long time ago ", so did I. Things have changed mate.

11. 2011/02/08

No More Adobe

Not all that much, save auto coding or whatever it is called now. They could and should support older stuff. It may more than a few lines of code, but not that much more. Plug-ins are easy.

And even if more difficult, that is why they asked us to pay the big bucks.

Moreover, when I bought PS, I did inquire about its lifeline and was told, "Not to worry by one of their minions..." Fool me once...

But not the point, is it? Why buy something that cannot be maintained?

You would not buy a new house or car or camera that could not be maintained, would ya mate?

Regardless, I refuse to be s-c-r-e-w-e-d by people like that...that are ways around them and decent competition at no cost.

Last edited: 2011/02/08
  12. 2011/02/08
    Admin.

Admin. Administrator Administrator Staff

This is a useless discussion that has run its course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.