1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved No Audi after an Upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by wjburl, 2015/08/09.

1. 2015/08/09
    wjburl

wjburl Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I upgraded from W8.1 to W10 on my Dell Inspiron17R laptop. After upgrading, I noticed there was no audio. It worked under W8,1. I checked the Dell site and downloaded the latest audio driver for the onboard Realtek HD chip set. It failed to install. I checked the Device Manager and there is only the microphone list under Audio inputs and outputs. No output device is listed. If I right click on the speaker icon on the task bar and select Playback Devices, The Realtek speaker is shown with a check mark as the default device. No other devices are listed for playback. I also plugged in a head set and got no sound on the headset. I've also tried different volume levels.

2. 2015/08/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Did you uninstall the Realtec HD before attempting to install the new driver?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/08/09
    wjburl

PeteC - Yes, I did uninstall it. In the past, when I uninstalled a device, it's recognized when the system is rebooted.

Last edited: 2015/08/09
  5. 2015/08/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

That's par for the course and I suspect it reloaded the old driver which appears not to work. Did you check Uninstall driver too?

Have you tried opening the Realtec Properties in Device Manager > Update Driver > Browse my Computer .... and point to the new driver location on your hard drive.

On my Win 10 PC with Realtec HD a Microsoft driver is being used - screenshot .....

Attached Files:

6. 2015/08/09
    wjburl

It's working now. When this first started, I noticed the version of the driver that W10 installed was 10.0.+ and the drive available from Dell was 6.+. I did the uninstall via the Device manager and installed the Dell driver. When that didn't work, i thought I could go back. I uninstalled the driver from Dell via the Device Manager and that's when the device didn't show up at all. I just discovered when I went the the uninstall programs in the control panel to get rid of some bloatware, the Dell driver was listed. I uninstalled that item, rebooted and now it's working. This kept my wheels spinning for a couple of days. I even bought a set of USB speakers as a backup.

7. 2015/08/09
    PeteC

PeteC SuperGeek Staff

Great news :)