1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Next Message Automatically?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Mail (Outlook / OE / Windows Mail)' started by AlexH, 2015/12/24.

1. 2015/12/24
    AlexH

AlexH Just an Old Timer getting help ... Thread Starter

[FONT= "Verdana"]Hi there.

I've been using MS Office 2010, complete with all updates/upgrades since I got a free package for beta testing it, back in ... 2010. After trying Office 365 for a few months, I finally went digging for my Office 2010 installation package, which was in one of the cartons we packed before moving last year.

Armed with my trusty Office 2010 Installation disk, I uninstalled 365, restarted, then installed 2010. All the applications work just fine, including Outlook, with one exception. Forgive me if I cannot explain this well.

On my older Windows 8.1 32-bit PC, before buying a new HP 64-bit Windows 10 Pro machine, if I had Outlook open, then opened any particular message, filing that message or deleting that message brought up the next message in the list, no matter how sorted ... by date, sender, etc.

Now, if I open one message, then file it, I am presented with the list of messages and must specifically open the next sequential message, rather than have Outlook simply move to the next one - already open - as in the past.

I am now retired, and don't have the collegial support team on which to call for help, so I must present this - probably simple item - to you folks here. I keep thinking it's a very simple setting, and if I were to click on File, then choose Options, I would find it. So far, no joy.

I simply cannot figure out which setting it is that will allow me to have this ease of use option again.

Can someone please tell me what I am missing?

Thank you all, and Happy Holidays!

AlexH[/FONT]

2. 2015/12/24
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

Did the "next message" actually open, or was it just readable on the right hand side reading pane?

Look in the tab called VIEW. That is where all the view settings are.

AlexH likes this.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2015/12/24
    AlexH

It Did Open

Hi.

While I look in that setting area - and I've looked there in the past - the answer to your question was that it did actually open.

I have the message view at the bottom, not the side but in the past, I didn't think that made a difference.

I will go check now.

Thanks very much, Steve,
    -a.

5. 2015/12/24
    AlexH

I checked again and cannot find a way to make that setting so that the next one opens automatically, if I choose to save or delete a currently open message.

Again my thanks.

Happy Holidays!

-a.

6. 2015/12/25
    Steve R Jones

Steve R Jones SuperGeek Staff

I bet this is it... Click on FILE->Options->MAIL

Scroll down to the very last option and click on the drop down to see "Open the Next Item. "

Attached Files:

AlexH likes this.
  7. 2015/12/25
    AlexH

By Jove, I Think He's Got It!

Far Out! That did it!

Thank you so much. I knew it was something very simple; can't tell you how many times I went into Options and all categories under options, and never once caught that one way down at the bottom.

Have a Very Merry Christmas and a Wonderful, Magical New Year ... to All on WindowsBBS, too!:)

-a.

8. 2015/12/28
    choltsberry

choltsberry Inactive

I have done this and it works for one session, but every time that I enter Outlook Express I have to do it over again.