1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

New Replacement Battery: Plugged in, Not Charging

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by fantasma, 2017/07/25.

Tags:
  1. 2017/07/25
    fantasma

fantasma Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have a 2 year old Acer Aspire Laptop with an apparent "dying" battery. (Battery is exhausted in an hour or so.) I am able, however, to recharge the battery and the computer works with both AC current and the old battery. I recently ordered a replacement battery (Amazon) and the battery does not charge. (Icon shows that the computer is 'plugged in' but NOT charging.) Again, I clarify when I use the old battery, the icon shows 'plugged in and charging'. I've tried many of the things suggest on the internet, (ie, battery calibration, uninstalling / installing device managers, etc.) ... but it doesn't affect the inability to charge the new battery. I live overseas ... and the battery was ordered while I was temporarily in the USA ... so it is not easy to return the battery via Amazon. Is there any chance that I might be able to get this new battery to function by carrying out some other procedures?? Feedback will be appreciated.

2. 2017/07/25
    lj50 Lifetime Subscription

lj50 SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Do you have another AC adaptor that works so you can rule out that your ac adapter didn't stop working.

lj50,

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2017/07/25
    fantasma

Yes, I have another AC adaptor with almost the same output (slightly higher amps) ... and the new battery still does not charge. Once again, both of the AC adaptors charge the older battery. It's just the new one that doesn't charge - (by either adaptor). If there are any software adjustments that I should check out before accepting that the 'new battery is defective' .......... then I welcome comments.

5. 2017/07/25
    rsinfo

rsinfo SuperGeek Alumni

Some problem with the battery it seems. You would have to get it replaced as no software can revive a dud.

6. 2017/07/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Does your "new" battery start and run your laptop? I ask, because most new batteries are supplied with at least half charge.

7. 2017/07/26
    fantasma

Yes, the new battery will start the laptop (unplugged). The level of charge, however, has dropped from 29% to 13%. I'm concerned that if I discharge to zero, I won't be able to do many other 'investigations' as to whether it might somehow work.

8. 2017/07/26
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Another obvious question - are the contacts exactly the same in both batteries? Assuming you haven't thrown the old battery away.:eek:
    If the battery was the only change made, your Acer charger is the original and worked previously and you have tried another compatible charger.
    The next problem area is the laptop connector. Is this loose or has it been damaged in any way?
    Is there any 'Special' warnings/advice to follow in the Owner Manual?