1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

(new) laptop- too long shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by larkin, 2010/05/23.

1. 2010/05/23
    larkin

larkin Inactive Thread Starter

Hi, this is a refurb (new to me, direct from mfr. purchase) Toshiba 500 series laptop, 3G RAM, w7homeprem. No real probs. till last wk. Of course something I may have installed may be prob. but haven't found it yet. Instead of shutting down quick, as I got it, it now takes 3-4 minutes. Have msconfig'd it, used diag. startup, defragged, checked services.msc & nothing pops out at me. Prob. won't go away. Under warr. but am on road, so won't be sending it anywhere soon. Any advice? Thank you.

2. 2010/05/24
    BurrWalnut

BurrWalnut Well-Known Member Alumni

To check if a particular program is slowing the machine, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools (in the left pane). The problem is sometimes shown on this screen, although you may have to click Advanced tools in the left pane then View performance details in the Event log.

If the problem isn’t shown, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then "˜Run as Administrator’. Copy & Paste or type wevtutil qe Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/Operational /f:text > %userprofile%\Desktop\Event.txt (note the five spaces) and press Enter. If you Copy & Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt.

Close the command prompt and double-click Event.txt on the Desktop to open it. Go to the end of the file (Ctrl+End) to see the most recent events. Those with an Event ID in the 200 series are shut down events. There may be a name or reason in the event listing.

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2010/05/25
    larkin

larkin Inactive Thread Starter

Thanks Burr Walnut. The message in event log went to MS, which said it could find an issue. It also sent me to technet which said that, duh, "this is a known problem" but shouldn't be an issue.