1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Networking broadband - possible solution ?

Discussion in 'Networking (Hardware & Software)' started by Alex_UK, 2002/01/19.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2002/01/19
    Alex_UK

Alex_UK Guest Thread Starter

I currently have my PC connected to the internet via a cable modem. My kids have a PC in their room, which has no internet connection.
    My intention is to connect them, and the cable modem and a 3rd machine, all via a hub. I will then install proxy software on the 3rd machine, and get my PC and the kids PC to connect via the server.

The big question is ........................ will this work ?

Any help/suggestions/etc gratefully accepted !

2. 2002/01/19
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

I really think that Linksys has the best broadband solution on the market. A scenario similar to your situation discussed here.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIOUS POST

Last edited: 2002/01/19

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2002/01/19
    phattooth

phattooth Inactive

I have to agree w/ smith here, unless you really need the server, Linksys could provide you with all your connection sharing needs!!! Even if you do really need the server... no need to add proxy software.... Linksys does the routing for you....EASILY!

5. 2002/01/20
    Alex_UK

Alex_UK Guest Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys.

The reason i was thinking of using a hub & proxy software is twofold.

Firstly - cost. A hub is a lot cheaper than a router, and the proxy software I have found is freeware, so I could pop out, spend £30 on a hub, the cables I can get from work and then the software is only a download away.

Secondly - I want to be able to track what sites my kids are viewing on the internet, and block others, for obvious reasons.

Now, I'm not familiar with the router you have recommended, but is is configurable in this way ?

6. 2002/01/20
    Scott Smith

Scott Smith Inactive Alumni

A linksys 4 port Cable DSL router/switch is a hundred bucks. It will log web sites that have been visited but I don't think it will block them. I'm not familliar with the software you are talking about but unless it goes on her machine your machine would have to be the gateway and the proxi server which requires 2 nic cards in your machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.