1. You are viewing our forum as a guest. For full access please Register. WindowsBBS.com is completely free, paid for by advertisers and donations.

Resolved Network not working.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lynn1102, 2016/09/01.

1. 2016/09/01
    lynn1102

lynn1102 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I have this XP Pro machine and a Win 10 machine. When I went to Win 10 on the other machine, the first thing I did was to network the two machines and it took all of two minutes to do it.
    During one of the latest updates of Win 10, the whole network connection went away. On this XP machine, i can see the other computer, but can't access anything. I get a message that I don't have permission to do that.
    On the Win 10 machine, the screen got so messed up that it's very hard to read - all text on that screen is set to about 6.
    I'm not worried about the XP, cause it doesn't connect to the net, that's why I use the network to transfer files. I also don't have a thousand dollars to replace all the software on the XP.
    I guess my biggest question is how do I get permission. I tried administrative tool but no help there. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. 2016/09/01
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

Has the workgroup name changed in the W10 comp?

3. to hide this advert.

4. 2016/09/02
    lynn1102

The workgroup is the same for both units. Something has changed a bit and I haven't done a thing since I posted the message. I turned on both computers this morning and I find on the Win 10 unit, I can connect and both send and receive info from the XP machine, but the XP machine still says I don't have permission to send or recieve info from the win 10 machine. It says to contact the administrator, but that's me. I do have everything set up to share. Another problem, which is minor at this time, is that it won't recognize my shared printer. Printer did work before. Unless someone has any other ideas, I think I just kill the connection I do have and start from scratch, which I have done before with no luck.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

5. 2016/09/02
    retiredlearner

retiredlearner SuperGeek WindowsBBS Team Member

6. 2016/09/03
    lynn1102

I think MS is trying to drive us all batty. I signed on using the Win 10 machine and got to read the latest messages here and the links above. I checked the workgroup names to make sure they didn't change and all OK there. I turned on the XP machine and guess what - it's all there. I can now talk to and from each machine and move file both ways. I haven't done anything to either machine to make this happen. The XP machine still can't find the printer, but that part is very seldom used. Thanks guys and for now I'll mark this resolved.